OT - the first Ford Taxi?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - the first Ford Taxi?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 12:35 am:

Here's one you don't see everyday. 12 Model B taxi, I believe in London. Unfortunately, there was no story with this "Motor" magazine (Dec 1905) photo.

I did have this "Automobile" (Feb 1906) description of a taxi body on Model B chassis in London.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

Great photo Rob. The registration plates are definitely London numbers, I'm asking round if anyone here can cast any further light on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

Jem,

Any information would be great. I found the following in the Ford Mo Co board minutes, but it only refers to three Model B chassis in England, and the results aren't good. Perry and Thornton, Ford's London representatives, are requesting "release" of the three Model B due to bearing problems.

This is from the July 1905 board meeting. The photo with 12 Model B taxis was published in late 1905.

Also on this continuation page, approval of a 100% dividend. Life is good for Ford Motor Company stockholders (Board President John Gray is the only director to vote against the dividend):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:03 pm:

Well Rob I'll chime in before our friend does... What no ModeL K pictures! If they would have used the Pierce Arrow which is a far superior car they wouldn't have had any bearing problems!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

On another note for all you photography buffs. How did they take the wide view picture back in the old times?

Great photo by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

Dennis,

I believe Civil War period photography included panoramic scenes. However, I know nothing of the technology or history.

Since Jem is looking to this, I'll post a few pages from an English 1907 Ford sales booklet I copied, courtesy of the National Automotive Research Library, Detroit MI. The booklet includes information about the "Ford Junior" and Model K. The link will show all the pages. The third attachment is an insurance application page that was part of the book:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guvxwk3w67n4vu6/English%20K%20and%20N%20Brochure.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

In panoramic photography in the early 20th century the camera had a wind up spring actuated motor. When the motor turns the camera it advances the film at the same time, capturing an image that might be as much as 360 degrees. The image of the Model B taxis is small in comparison to many such pictures.

We had such a camera at the Rocky Mountain tour take a picture of all the T's on the lawn of the Estes Park Hotel the year I was there with the '15, I think it was about 1988 or 1989. The contact print from the negative is about 48" by 8" framed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

"The image of the Model B taxis is small in comparison to many such pictures."

The image of the Model B is ......taken from a magazine picture (as stated). Of course it's smaller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 06:04 am:

Rob,
It's wonderful how you are coming up with all this material.
Robert Lacey, in his book "Ford" refers to the sale of 12 Model B's to London for use as taxis. They were subsequently painted white so as to be more visible.
Best wishes,
John Stokes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 06:24 am:

John,
Good information. Now we have a photo corroborating the story (or vice versa). Interesting that the Ford Model B was chosen as the chassis considering the "home grown' cars such as Napier that were available.

Thank you,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders-Auburn Al on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

I have a camera like this one at home,http://www.cameramonkey.net/no-1-panoram-kodak. The medium format roll film ,I believe was 620, is fixed on the circumference of the film back and the lens swings across it to make the exposure. Take your photo, then wind the film to the next position for subsequent shots. The back of the lens is shaped like a broom...it actually has two exposure speeds. This type of camera could have been used in the photo above.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

Rob, this is an interesting discovery. Nobody I have contacted knows of this photo, the record until now has shown 3 Model Bs were submitted for taxi use because Central Motor Car (Ford agency of the time) couldn't sell them. Still searching for info......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

Correction!
For Rob and Jem - I've just checked, and the Robert Lacey book 'Ford' refers to three (not twelve) Model Bs. The context is Perry, who "...helped sell the first automobiles to be used as taxis in the streets of London: three imported Model B Fords, which the authorities had insisted should be painted white as a warning to pedestrians."
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

John,

I believe those three Model B chassis are referred to above, in the handwritten Ford Mo. Co. minutes. There was a bearing problem, and they were returned (or dome action taken) by the buyer.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:28 pm:

The plot thickens...

200 London Ford Cabs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

Ooops - that item appeared in Jan, 1906 - John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 03:36 pm:

John,

The bore and stroke fit the Model B. quite a find.

Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration