Temuka New Zealand Ford dealer pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Temuka New Zealand Ford dealer pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 05:01 am:

Hi all

I have just been sent some scans of pictures that have been donated to the Temuka museum here in New Zealand, The lady that works through processing items is a relative of the family and thought we may be interested in seeing the pictures.
The last picture should show a large car with a group of people sitting in it. the large man closest to the camera in the front seat is the mayor of Temuka and the historians are trying to figure the make and model of the car if anyone recognises it.

Regards
Glen McConachie
Dunedin
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 06:30 am:

Glen,

You have posted what looks to be a couple of very interesting photos. Thank you very much for that. I for one would be very interested in seeing high res versions of these photos if possible?

Do you know where the centre photo (with the cranes) was taken?

The folk at the Temuka Museum may be aware of the history of W Hally - he was appointed by Rouse & Hurrell as the Ford agent for the Temuka District approx September, 1910.

I may be wrong but I think he may have been one of the casualties of the financial recession of the early 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:35 am:

Glen,

Yes, we are very interested in the photos and yes, if possible we would like to see higher resolution scans. In the case of the large car – I do not recognize it. But I don’t study those cars so someone who is familiar with it may recognize it easily. If you have high resolution scans available, sometimes you can read the cars make on the hub caps or they may have a letter or symbol that is a lead for figuring out the car. The photos are showing up at about 25 kb so the could be loaded at 195 kb and show a lot more resolution. Also we do not need the back ground scene – just the car which allows more features of the cars to be seen.

We look forward to looking at the photos closer.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:48 am:

The big touring car is an Austro Daimler. A very rare and exotic car typically owned by heads of state or extraordinarily wealthy people. Austro Daimler's competitors were Pierce Arrow and Rolls Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KEN PARKER on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

The photo with the cranes appears to show unpacking new Ford Touring cars out of shipping containers and assembling. Wheels and top assembly are shown before assembly. Neat. Looks like a '12, ?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KEN PARKER on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:47 pm:

Looks like a new Fordson on the truck in the first picture.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:49 pm:

Except for being left hand drive and a few small details on the buildings any of those photos could have been taken in the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

The building behind the crane is almost certainly the local railway station. There are dozens of similarly designed railway stations throughout NZ. The cars probably arrived as deck freight to be assembled locally. The big shed on the right is possibly the rostrum for the sale of livestock as we see many farmer types up on cattle proof fences watching the camera-man. Livestock was railed all around the country [in the days before the huge heavy trucks we see today]or the farmers used drovers for the job. My grand-father was a cattle dealer in a pretty big way in his day and employed 40 drovers at one time. His transport of the day was either the rail network or his 1910 FN [Belgium produced motor-car]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Rod you are quite right about the railway station - at the right you can see the name Temuka. And it looks as though the cars are being assembled there (well, assembly being that they're released from their crates, wheels added, windscreen added, oil added, water added, drive away!). Streetside 'assembly' was quite common.

Glen - a higher resolution version of these photos would be good to see.

Also Rod - I recall seeing a white FN roadster (a huge car!) in Taradale - do you know the car? Same owner as a magnificent T.

John Stokes
Wellington - NZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:40 pm:

The two left side photos appear to be of the same "W. Hally" Ford garage taken several years apart; the lower left being the earlier photo and the upper left one being at least several years later. Interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:06 am:

I will see if i can get a higher resolution / larger image of some of the pictures to post, they were fairly small files when e-mailed to me.
The picture of the 3 1912 cars is at the Temuka Railway station, there is quite a lot of interesting bits in these pictures with details of the buildings and the horse and cart unloading out of a open wagon behind the cars.
If you are wanting to get higher detail copies of these they can be purchased by contacting Shirley Armstrong +6436877591(armstron@ihug.co.nz) who is one of the historians at the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 08:59 am:

Yes, and business must have been good, notice the enlarged garage building in the rear of the later photo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Business can't have been that good - looks like the power company has cut the power lines!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

I would say the power co. hasn't got the wires up yet as the pole is not there in the first pix. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 05:00 am:

Hopefully here is a larger copy of one of these pictures. As time permit over the next couple of days I will have a go at some of the other pics too

Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:40 am:

Thanks for the enlarged photo. You can see a lot more detail on how they were packed and shipped. It looks like they only had to add the wheels and top once the crate was opened. I also see a young fellow sitting behind the wheel of the finished car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:42 am:

I guess they also had to install the windscreen and steering wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:47 am:

Maybe I should look longer before posting because I now see what looks like the horn and bulb installed on the side of the car not yet completely built but not one on the car the young fellow is in. Were they optional?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

Charley - Take a closer look Charley; what you're calling "the first picture" is the picture that was taken several years later. John Stokes is right,.....the power pole has been taken out! Compare the approx. years of the cars and the weathering on the buildings, and the enlarged garage in the rear Charlie. Had me fooled too but the bottom picture is the early one; the top picture was taken several years later.

Not that it matters tho' as they are all very interesting and GREAT old pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Dennis - you have described the "assembly" almost perfectly from the photo provided. Below is another photo of a 1915 being liberated from its crate. The steering wheel (which would've made the Canada - NZ journey on the floor of the car) has already been added.

Harold - thanks for clarifying that!

John

Unpacking T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

I have no idea why I cannot upload the photo - will try again later. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Someone took the trouble to change the sign on the building from "Ford Car Agency" to "Ford Service Station". I wonder if they lost or surrendered their dealer status or if they just wanted to attract more service work or something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:46 pm:

well oops, getting old, the dam pole was in the way anyway !!!!!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leslie G. Whitfield on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:51 am:

Hi
My father worked as a mechanic for William Hally and then Albert Hally until he died approx. 1960. The business was very successful right up to Albert dying and then it was sold but it carried on as a very successful.
My father had the name as the best Ford V8 side valve in Canterbury.

Graeme Whitfield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leslie G. Whitfield on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 02:01 am:

Hi
Further to the above.... Hally Motors was the Ford Agency up to 1939. At this point the Ford Company visited Temuka and wanted to shift the Hally home across the road and build a new service station on the the the old home site. This was not received very well by Albert Hally who stated that he was freehold and that he was not going to do as they requested.
On this news the Ford members went to Geraldine and arranged that North End Motors ( Geraldine Transport ) become the Ford Agency.
Although Hally's lost the Ford Agency they were still known as where to get your Ford serviced.
I believe that later Albert felt that he had been too hastey.

Graeme Whitfield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 06:51 am:

Thanks Leslie. That explains the sign change. Same thing happened in my city to the local Harley Davidson dealer. They spent a ton of money expanding the old living room size 1940s dealership and then head office wanted them to relocate near the highway. They said no. They are still a full scale motorcycle dealership but their official HD dealer status is gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:09 am:

John,

I suspect the photo you were looking for is the one shown below. It is a 1915 model year being unpacked in front of GA Hayden & Co. in Auckland New Zealand. Ref page 22 of Roger Gardner’s “Ford Ahead…/a History of the Colonial Motor Company Limited” “Photo from the Colonial Motor Company NZ Collection” who kindly permits it to be republished with their reference. Note -- this is a copy from a magazine. If anyone knows where a copy of the actual print is available, please let us know (e-mail would be best as I often miss some of the postings. You can click on my name at the beginning of the my post and send me a private message. Or my e-mail address is the 3rd line down in my profile. Thank you!)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:57 am:

Hap (& John)...guy in the pic with the car in that crate seems a bit like he could be thinking "what in the heck do I do with this"?? Even tho he knows what.... boy those wheels look huge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

Thanks Hap and, yes, that is the photo I was trying to post. It does show very well how the cars were shipped.
Best wishes - John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

Well that is a great collection of pictures. The Temuka station is long gone. Next time i am down I will see if the old workshop is still there. If you 'google map' Temuka, you will see a "Hally Terrace" prominent on the map.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration