1912 Time Capsule

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1912 Time Capsule
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:14 am:

A relatively original and amazingly complete '12 Touring has been brought out into the daylight. It's listed on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321290944770?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html %3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D321290944770%26_rdc%3D1

It's at over $7K now, with more than 6 days remaining. This would be an amazing project, either for restoration or preservation. I can see thousands of dollar signs between its condition now and a finished car, but what a nice one to work with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:46 am:

Mike:

Boy would I like to get ahold of that one. It looks great.

I have never seen a spare tire mounted that way, interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

If I had more time, space, and money...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

That's enough to drive us patina guys crazy. And what a documentation of details.
Thanks for the link Mike. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:29 pm:

I've seen the car, it's very complete and quite an interesting car. Note the town car in the garage in the last two pictures. Seller is a great guy, deal with confidence if your interested!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

Such a nice car, except for a few details like the rusty splash aprons. Looks like the seller has a Town Car too:

12 and tc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

I think I recall seeing the Town car something like 30 years ago at the Forest Grove Contours De Elegance. We have some great T's in the Portland Or area but they don't go on the T tours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

Great looking car. I hope if someone restores it they retain the black painted all brass cowl lamps. It would be a shame to restore it of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

I really hope this car stays unrestored. I wouldn't do a darn thing to it, dust and all.

Does anything look non-1912 on it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 05:27 pm:

I see a water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

Nice pile of early blocks sitting in the shed as well!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

Wow, that would be a great car to own. That is the first water pump that I have seen that runs with a separate v belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

I'm usually in the "it's only original once" crowd, but I think that one is a great candidate for restoration. It has enough areas of severe deterioration that it's not useable as is, but it's still all there and would be a great starting point for a quality restoration of an original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:06 am:

Eric - You reminded me of Ray Elkins. He would give that car a gentle "going over" with kerosene and make it look great without removing the ageless "patina"! After trying that, a decision could then be made whether to leave "as-is", or, to restore.

By the way, whatever happened to Ray Elkins and his "TT" and the re-wooding project of the "T" sedan??? As I recall, he became somewhat "disenchanted" with the forum or the "T" hobby in general I think, but he sure contributed a lot to the forum! Wonder if he still has his "T's??? Seems like in his last post of several years ago, he said we'd hear from him from time to time, but I don't think that's happened.

Anyway, he had a way of "preserving" nice old "barn finds" like this one,..........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:00 am:

That red thing to the left of the car is a K R Wilson pan jig. I'd like to have that and just get it running a preserve it as much as possible just as it is. Great car. It's already over ten large, be interesting to see what it brings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:38 am:

It is my understanding, that car will need a total restoration. It has bad wood throughout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:20 am:

If it does have bad wood, I would have liked the seller to have said so. Its the kind of info that would make a difference to a potential buyer.
I've sold a lot on eBay and followed the principle that if something I sell has a defect that would cause surprise when a buyer saw it, I would disclose it in the ad. Learned that from Jay Buscio. That said, virtually all old parts have minor defects, but those that would affect value should be disclosed.
Makes me think if the seller doesn't disclose this, what else is he hiding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:39 pm:

Thanks for putting this out there Larry. I'd like to believe that people here who know this guy will feel obliged to step up and encourage an honest clarification of this ad. Nobody deserves to be suckered, and I'd like to believe no decent person from this club would ever condone it.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

From the look of the Towncar in the Garage and the location I think the Towncar belongs to Ken Kinnear.

To show you how Towncars have an effect on people Ken sold his Towncar but later bought it back!
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve osborne on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

ok learned something new today, The brass bar in the back seat?

I have one of those in the bathroom, I use it as a towel bar, took it from my grandfathers shop, was told it came off a train.

so train or model t accessory? do I need to move it from the bathroom to the model T?

thanks.
oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Steve, it's a lap robe rail. Made for old cars. I guess it could have been on a train, too, not sure.............. if anyone has the left side casting, i would pay good for it, to complete mine. I have an early car i want to use it in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:00 pm:

They repop that rail in brass now, MACs has them
http://macsautoparts.com/robe-rail-solid-brass-for-sedans-touring-t3680b/camid/MDT/cp/JS0R3CHL1095126/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:27 pm:

I am familiar with this car. It has tremendous potential, but obviously would need a complete restoration. I believe it is all there and all correct. I don't recall about the wood. An interested bidder would have to ask.

Don-
The current owner of the towncar bought it from Ken Kinnear years ago.

I know the owner. He is a stand up guy. E-mail, call and ask for answers to your questions.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

Just by looking at the pics it doesn't like the car was in the weather all that much over the years.
I wouldn't take somebody's assumption that all the wood would have to be replaced until I looked at it if I was serious about buying it.

I would check the condition of the body sills and go from there to determine a price for it.

One persons idea of condition might be a lot different than another persons opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

It is safer to assume that it needs wood. 102 year old wood is going to be drier than a popcorn fart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

How many owners on this forum have cars with original wood? My guess, overwhelming majority.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

If that 12 were the early style and a couple thousand miles closer...........

I probably still would not be able to buy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Gordon on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:02 am:

Richard Gould; Sorry about not disclosing the condition of the wood in the body. I see your concern and will do better in the future. Some of the wood is rotten - espec. in the back right corner. The T spent 27+ years up on blocks in a shed covered with a black plastic tarp. Condensation took its toll! Any other questions - email me. Thanx. Jim Gordon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:11 am:

Thanks Jim, great car. I wonder if my wife would notice one more.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:25 am:

HI Jim.
Welcome to the forum.
MarkG
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:31 am:

James L. Gordon:
Very generous of you committing to be more forthcoming about such disclosures "in the future", while your EBAY ad remains misleading at present. Are you assuming someone here will correct this for you, or is this perhaps an inconvenience that does not matter to you? There are those here who speak well of you... you could do a better job of showing them you appreciate it.
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Post some pictures of the wood damage, it may or may not be as bad as some think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:30 am:

Dang it James. I'd be interested if we weren't at opposite corners of the continental US...You couldn't hardly be any further away if you tried... unless of course you were in Alaska. Anyway. Nice car. Good luck on finding a nice non-hotrodder home for it. Jim Patrick, Bartow, Florida

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison (Vancouver Washington) on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:53 am:

Mark,

I know that town car too....just can't think of his name at the moment....

I would love to have that car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

He has pulled the listing for some reason?
Someone may have made him an offer that he couldn't pass up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

John your probably right.

I really wanted to see what it was going to sell for. Maybe someone will know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

I have seen this car and it is hard not to fall in love with it. Great story and history. If only I could.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

The 12 was sold to another collector, I didn't ask the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 10:56 am:

There is a new ad in the Classifieds section asking for a used top for a '12 Touring. The owner, in Seattle, says, "I have an original unrestored barn fresh 1912 touring..." Could this be the same car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:26 am:

It was sold to a HCCA member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

Same guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

Anybody know what the final selling price was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

No it was not told, brought up yes, but was no comment. I was there for the loading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

I purchased the 1912 Ford that is written about here. I only bought it for the makings of an early speedster. I intend to strip the body and fenders off and make a dandy brass era speedster. As mentioned and according to the self styled experts here the body is full of bad wood and not worth the expense of restoration. It will make a great play toy in the back yard for my grandchildren

The chassis is very correct and in excellent condition. The original speedometer only shows 2320 miles. I have always wanted a 1912 Ford because that was the year my mother was born. Don't really care for touring cars,my interests are early speedsters and race cars, and this will make another one for my collection.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:22 pm:

That's a terrible idea. Why don't you just drop a big block Chevy engine in it and make a hot rod?

Is this April Fool's day or something. No--I just checked the calendar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

Say it ain't so, Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:41 am:

Very good H, way to stir the pot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:55 am:

ROFLACGU

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:59 am:

Sounds as if someone's pulling our collective leg. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

I am with Mike on this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:40 pm:

Is that you Mr. Jass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Hugh, zat you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

I know Hugh, and that ain't Hugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:46 pm:

If you look at brass car guy's profile it is brand new with bogus information. Some Smart *** trying to give us old guy's a heart attack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

Then they got the name from the ad for the top.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration