Headlight Rims Circa '17 to '21

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Headlight Rims Circa '17 to '21
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 01:54 pm:

I am finishing up the restoration of my 1920 touring and want to go with the clear Headlight lens. I have been wondering if the clear design had a different method of securing glass in rim other than the later style fluted. I have included some photos of the fluted and an example of a rim with a clear lens I picked up at a swap. I realized after purchase that this was an aftermarket type headlight bucket and rim from the era but has a clip that makes sense for a round cut glass. Any ideas if ford used this design. Maybe I'm getting too much in the weeds and it doesn't really matter. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

John:

That's a 1915 through 1917 Ford headlamp bucket because the adjustment screw is at the 12:00 o'clock position.

I'm in interested in it if you want to sell it.

I am in Minneapolis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:55 pm:

John, your first photo shows the type of lens clip used on the plain glass lenses. When the fluted lens was introduced, the clip was modified to stop the lens from rotating in the rim. Rotation was not a worry with plain lenses.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

Allan, Thanks for clearing that up, the clip that is. This rim fits a little too loose in my headlight buckets and the thickness of rim is different as well. I'll use the fluted until I can scout up some proper headlight rims. Guess I'm a little behind the times, I should move over to 2014 forum, Happy New Year

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration