OT: "Motor - Puzzle". Win a free $3,000 Winton

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT: "Motor - Puzzle". Win a free $3,000 Winton
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

Motor magazine had a contest in 1905. The person who identified the most cars correctly would win a "free" $3,000 Winton.

I only have twenty of the thirty cars to be identified. If anyone would like to ID the cars please give it a shot.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the answers or who won.

Please play responsibly :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 08:53 pm:

The remaining ten cars. This group were "played" in the magazine. The coupon was removed, and as you can see, someone wrote their guesses in (colored out).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

#24 is a Grout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:44 pm:

Erik,

That's what the contestant that filled out the page had too. I wouldn't have much chance at a free Winton. I see three that I would guess Cadillac or Ford on......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

WHAT! you mean they weren't giving away the superior Pierce Arrow!
I've seen it mentioned as a most superior automobile in other threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

I knew at first glance it was an Grout. Didn't spend any more time on the puzzle.

More quick glances:

#1 is an Autocar. Radiator and left hand drive are dead giveaways.

#9 is a Franklin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:59 pm:

Erik,

What if #9 is a Marion?

I would have guessed Franklin (and it may be), but I used a cheat sheet. It's another left hand drive (like the Autocar).

If you would like a 1905 list of cars, use this link. Go to page three to see pics (pages 1 and 2 are specs).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbzxfenpvbrhiz6/1905%20Auto%20Specs%20and%20Pics.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

I meant to say the Marion is another left hand drive. The fenders are different and the Marion has running boards where it looks like #9 doesn't (again, I have no idea which it is).

Hard to tell with the quality of pics. I was hoping to find who the winner was,,and how many were guessed correctly.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

The Franklin Club's website uses the same period graphic and identifies the car as a 1904 Franklin Model B:

http://www.franklincar.org/INFO/04modelbwtonneau.htm

Although similar to Franklins, I believe Marions were larger, having a much longer wheelbase. The front seat of a Franklin is closer to the rear axle than a Marion.

The Franklin tonneau is rear entry whereas the Marion tonneau is side entry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:03 pm:

There is a similar looking Franklin runabout on the New London to New Brighton tour most years. I believe it's about a 1907/08, and a nice running car.

Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration