Model T's on Downton Abbey

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T's on Downton Abbey
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:36 pm:

Watching the new season of Downton abbey and there's been I think a 15 touring as a taxi, a C cab TT, and a 20's roadster pickup!! They all look excellent and are even RHD. Just so cool to see my favorite cars on TV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

Noticed them too.
The Taxi is in great shape for being 7 years old.

Or as my wife tells me:
This from a guy who had my Model T in a movie that was set in time 10 years before my Model T was made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:50 pm:

I have seen a variety of movies that have Model Ts in them where the car was made in a year later than the movie setting. I tell my wife they are miracle movies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:42 am:

You may have seen the new version of Gatsby, several members here were in the movie. The main cars were way out of date, but the producers picked them as they looked so luxurious compared to the ones of the era it was set in (early 1920's)

One thing the Model T guys found was the producers favoured a lot of Model T's if they fitted in the scene as they were so much more reliable than most of the other brands when it came to starting up and doing their thing. Often others broke down, or failed to start!!!

Model T's also featured in the series about the department store "Selfridges" Some great body styles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:02 am:

I just watched an episode of "Young Indiana Jones" (episode: "Mystery of the Blues" - $1 sale at a Blockbuster close-out today). There were more model T cars and trucks than you could count. All were well restored except that most had natural wood colored spokes... that's something we "restorers" like to do now, but in the early 20's most should have had painted spokes. There were also more closed cars than open... probably not accurate for early '20's in Chicago. Very few non-Fords, however. Also I doubt there were very many 26-27 T's in Chicago in '20-'24.

In one scene they crashed and flipped one Fordor. It sure looked like a real T trashed... The suspension and underside showed well and looked just like my T's underside.

One neat thing was there was no clashing gears sound like in all period movies, all the T's sounded like T's!

2 weeks ago I went and saw Mr. Hank's new flicker, "Saving Mr. Banks", there were a couple of really nice T's in an early scene (in New Zealand if I remember correctly).

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:46 am:

Our vintage car club provided many cars for Peter Jackson's King Kong filmed down here in New Zealand. Really interesting -all the drivers had a uniform of black teashirts. Of course Peter wanted all our RHD cars to look LHD (as the movie was set in the USA ) so in every car scene the driver had an actor sitting next to him holding a steering wheel and pretending to drive. The black shirted driver was easy to blank out in post production- Voila one LHD car !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:43 am:

They do go to a lot of trouble on some things.
In Gatsby they needed a scene inside the T taxi so they made a back section, reproduced the trim and made identical door handles as the actual car.

No one would have had any clue if it was correct or not but the detail was fantastic.

Some of the Los Angeles guys should know about Titanic. The scene where they are leaving England there is a TT truck. to make it look RHD they wrote the signwriting on the side backwards and then reversed the film.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:34 am:

I saw the show last night as well. I didn't notice a roadster pickup. I did see the black era TT truck and a black era touring car I think. They showed the 1915 touring taxi real close up. It looked life size on my 72" TV. Later, I began watching to see if the cars were LHD or RHD. At least one car was LHD. I can't remember which one but, I think it was the taxi. That taxi also had some kind of brass club badge or such on the front of it. I guess they figured nobody would notice. Someone needs to record this show. I don't have the capability.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:10 pm:

Dave,

Maybe the badge was for the AA (Automobile Association) or the RAC (Royal Automobile Club).

RAC Badge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

The last 3 seasons of the show DA are available on DVD.

Spent 6 hours watching DA yesterday on DVD since we are snowed in for a few days. You can pause the DVD and pick the vehicles apart.
Presently -40 degree windchill here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

Check out "Boardwalk Empire". The shows I saw looked like they did a good job with staying within the era. Most of the cars and trucks were T. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:32 am:

I'm surprised one of our UK contributors has not chimed in with more specifics as the entire series is a 'where's the T?' (Where's Waldo?)

According to quotes attributed to the movies art director...all of the cars are genuine and privately owned but arranged through a services company...the drivers other than the lead vehicles in the scenes are the owners...the car evolution does follow time line, complete with the slowness after WW1 in getting not just newer machines, but machines that showed change in appearance and technology...the T's and their time warp were not a mistake, but rather a rationalization that no-one would really know the difference and the T's were always background use.

Another tidbit is how well all the vehicles run and sound...including sliding gear transmissions that don't gnash and clash. A directors secret he said...all car sounds are dubbed so that they didn't distract from whatever else was going on :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

Highclere Castle, aka Downton Abbey, is about 20 miles from me and has been open for public visits for years. It belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon and before Downton was best known because his ancestor sponsored and took part in the Tutankhamun excavation in the '20s. I visited several times before the Downton tourists made it a major attraction.

As to the Ts: in the 1980s my day job was cars for the movies, so I knew all the people involved, but I've lost touch now. I don't know which company had the vehicle contract. I didn't specifically recognise any of the cars, but there are lots of cars out there that don't get to T club events. Sorry I can't be more help - maybe I should get the DVD and have another look.

I am enjoying Boardwalk Empire, lots of T sedans, and a lot more exciting than Downton!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_1606375-Downton-Abbey.html
this has a load of still car shots from the series

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

I am watching the rerun on our another broadcast PBS station. We have 4 over the air PBS stations in ABQ.
The 15 sure smokes a lot.
But I love seeing T's on the tele, whatever year it is or they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:43 pm:

Not impressed with boardwalk empires's T's. They're always later cars than the year of the setting, the closed cars anyway.
All t coupes in all 4 seasons are 27/27 and the 1st season was 1920. There were never any center doors. Also the C cab TT trucks were present since the 1st season(1920). One thing I liked was the rocking back of a T being braked to a stop. I didn't like the tires squealing while supposedly driving at high speeds. What am I thinking, it's Hollywood.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration