What did you do on your T today 2014

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What did you do on your T today 2014
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

Chiseled Babbitt preheated & Babbitted 2 blocks.
ch
bt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:55 pm:

Organized in the shop a little. Making room to pull a rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:12 am:

Fitted the cowl on my Speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:14 am:

Why chisel the old babbitt out when it is easy to melt out and you are going to preheat the block for the new ones? We always drill out the dowel holes to clean them out as any trash in there seems to generate gas and resultant holes in the bearing which seem to show up just as you are finish boring the bearing. We only heat the block enough to drive off any moisture that can cause the same problem.
Didn't touch any of our T's today. Spent the day hauling home 8000 pounds more T stuff. Out of control and loving it.
Fordially, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:21 am:

I like to chisel drill out anchor & clean before adding heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:29 am:

Dean,
Good way to go. Clean and dry is everything when pouring babbitt.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:33 am:

Sold pair of '13/14 rearend housings to Eric Dysart and then took him for a ride downtown Surf City. Almost forgot to let him drive the ol' brass picup. It's different with 10:1 steering and real brakes.

I have no fat to keep me warm, but short sleeve shirt was good enough on this drive down the coast hiway at 50-60.

Good chance now to thank Gene Carrothers for cleaning up the brass clock and speedometer, and fixing a flat. Model T neighbors are the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:06 am:

I have a question/comment/suggestion.

Why have a separate "What did you do on your T today" thread?

For some things like Steve's I "organized the the shop" or maybe "I drove to town and had an ice cream cone" maybe a thread like this would make sense. However, for subjects that may be of interest to others and generate discussion such as Dean's Chiseled Babbitt comment, why not just post a new thread with a descriptive title? It would be easier for forum members to catch subjects that are of interest to them and also be easier for folks to find information on the subject at a later date.

The "What did you do on your T today" thread seems to be just another sub-forum with no real no rhyme or reason why some subjects are posted here and some posted in the main forum. Why not just keep one list of discussions?

I would suggest just starting a new thread with a descriptive title for each subject that may be of any interest or be helpful to others.

Just an idea, maybe other have different opinions.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:47 am:

Hey Ricks ..... fat is over-rated !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 08:34 am:

I re-spoked a set of four Hayes wire wheels. Wish they were mine. The back two have been trued and are ready for painting. I will true the two front ones tomorrow.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 08:39 am:

It's -15 today, so I let my T just sit and sleep. Sort of like the two teenagers upstairs that will sleep til noon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:02 am:

Drove to breakfast. 10 degrees and it started OK. One coil gave out and I replaced it when we got back. Original capacitor finally gave out. Noticed head gasket seeping above water outlet so I gave all the head bolts a little tightening. It was the head bolt I had removed to mount the horn bracket. Put the battery charger on for an hour as the generator has quit working. Winter maintenance is not as fun as in the warmer months.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Erbach on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Checked the anti freeze (good to -35 degrees) It only got to - 18 last night so all is well.
Ran back into the house and poured a cup of coffee, and I'm not going out again today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:58 pm:

Richard, you're heartier than I am! Went to mailbox/paperbox to look for the newspaper that wasn't there and that's all I could handle. Was -2 then with chill of -24. Checked cars in barn for no real reason as I knew they were OK. The two in the house garage are in luxury, as it stays moderately warm even with no heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

I am helping my friend buy a model t wrecker it should be a lot of fun once he gets it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

I replaced the wood body blocks on my 1927 Sport Touring. Im doing a re-paint while my engine is at the rebuilder so while the fenders, running boards, and splash aprons were off, seemed like a good time to change them. They appear to be the original blocks that came with the car when new. The four in the middle were still good. The rear pair was solid but had worn away at the frame. Not bad for 87 years old. I even saved the original bolts and nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:45 pm:

Hey Dave. How does your RF run now???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:54 pm:

Finished wiring a tail/license plate light.

Soldered a brass horn.

Installed/ caulked lights into the cowl lights. I copied a previous poster's idea here cause I LIKE it!

Installed a new battery to power all the lights except cowl light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

Went down stairs and looked at it..... 7;-/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 01:01 am:

Stan - Haven't had the chance to get it adjusted yet. Between traveling for work the holidaze, and the weather (-9 here now)... Possibly this weekend I'll get her running again and see if I can get the RF adjusted right. Thanks for checking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

second coat varnish, more sanding to come, when cured, which will be a while cause its sooooo coldwheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

Cold outside garage 65 so I was "pidiling" when I noticed the fan seemed off "kilter" then I noticed the grease sprayed by the fan. took fan hub assembly apart to find shaft is hosed bearings are chewed up and pieces of a TAB can... ordered new bushings shaft and gasket...do they still make TAB? that stuff was nasty so I guess a previous owner found a use for the can!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

Nice Wheels Dave.

I tested my lights and the new battery made the "warm up" period for the lights disappear.

Knew that old battery wasn't the best but never seen one turn lights on like a toaster warming up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

Over the weekend I gave my '26 a quality "paintjob" $30 and three hours time. A mix of Penetrol, flat black oil base and boiled linseed oil. Amazing how that brings out what is left of the original paint. The dash, door jambs, pinstripes and patches of paint on the body look like they did in '26. the engine in the background is a 1915 that I started on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Thanks, John; they're Simplex wheels. Had them rebuilt at Dayton Wire Wheel, and had a local awards shop engrave new caps. Blasted and painted them myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 06:25 am:

I just finished my home made HCCT.
All are trash parts even the wood. I am only waiting for the Westinghouse Amp-meter I bought a few days ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

Now the fun begins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

Tortured the wife!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

Steve,

How many rear ends are you going to rebuild before you get to drive a car?
You have become so skilled I think you should have that one done in a day or 2.

Good luck.
As always we want pictures.
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Richard - Oh come on.....she wanted to go for a ride just as much as you did. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:42 am:

Same as Steve McClelland....just looked at them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

wish I could do something on my t everyday, but everyday I have to go to work..... But not on Sunday! Should get something done, key is to wake up before the wife, put the puppy out, feed him, get dressed and out in the shop... So youre already way too busy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:46 pm:

Rich,
Wives are fun to torture, huh?
I have some experience at that!
Really, the only thing mine doesn't like about old cars or little airplanes is if she gets left home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

Well, my wife being 27 thinks they are geeky old cars! she leaves me be with my hobby. It did however cost me a new living room set! And a new prius, thats the reason for working six days a week!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

I fired mine up and let it run for a while, the first time in a couple of months. I sold the Delivery body off the one in my profile pic a few weeks ago and decided to replace it with a Runabout body, which I had in stock. Here it is, patiently waiting for me to get to it.

run

The best part about it is that the chassis is all newly-restored, so I won't need to start from scratch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

I should say, in kindness to my wife, she does love to ride in the cars and without her support of the hobby I would have fewer cars. We really owe a lot to the ones who let us do this.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Hey guys can you put up a couple of pics of a model t wrecker that is assembled this one is built from a TT but its in a million pieces and I also need some advice on what I should paint it as should I do Ford service or American gas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

Worked on an equalizer setup that hangs off the parking brake cross shaft but swings under it. The first one will work but the next one will have a few changes. I have all ready modified my first idea quite a bit, made it simpler. It looks like the one Jack posted with some changes.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/402037.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:18 am:

We are having a tour on Sunday to the Orange County Rail Museum so I decided to locate and cure a persistent exhaust leak on the 14 Touring.
I found the leak was on #4 and appears to be caused because I installed the sleeve, I use copper ring and steel sleeves, in the manifold rather than in the block. The manifold is machined to take the sleeve but nothing holds it in position so when it is mated to the block, it pushes into the manifold, and we have a leak.
Solution, install the sleeve in the block.....
Still learning after near 40 years of this nonsense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

Mike, is the Runabout going to be ready for Natchitoches?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

Tony, did you end up with that conversion tractor from Craigslist?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:20 pm:

Put the engine, firewall and steering column back in the 19. I just noticed I forgot to install the radiator rod before the coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

This will sound dumb. I did some work on the front wheel bearings, then took a drive. I wanted to get the rain to wash off the dust from being in the shop (my hoses are all stored away for the winter). Rain was reported, but I drove and drove and drove some more. It was great fun and Lizzy did very well. Did a few extra errands, even drove to work on my day off. Only got a few little drops on the windshield. Ran out of daylight and drove home after dark. Parked her back in the garage with most of the same dust still in place. One time I actually wanted to drive in the rain and it wouldn't cooperate. Sheeesh. I did have to fix a blinker unit after that too. At least I got a good first run of 2014 and changed the oil too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

Took the gas tank off the '24 to have it boiled out, got all new stuff from the tank to the carb, got a carb gasket kit. What should be done to the carb to make it good too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

Either fix it or throw it away, depending on which one you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

Found and bought a used, but complete, Ford script Hall stoplight at a country antique store for $25.00. Was going to try to talk the seller down, but figured, why mess with good luck. he had some later 30's, 40's non Ford parts that didn't interest me in the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:54 pm:

Collecting parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:00 am:

Fixed a leaking axle that was oiling the LR brake. Had to take a nap break when about half done, but at least I did it. Car stops straight ahead now with no pulling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:49 am:

Well since I broke the crank way back Sept 2013 Dad and I have taken her down to a bare block the babbitt is good ,the timing cover broke but we have a spare. The block will go I hope to the machine shop this week or next to line bore the mains to 2.252 and fit the new scat crank. We have light weight rods with new babbitt. valves are good, we'll check the pan and start the reasembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

Make sure the babbett in the block is tight to the block. If you can press the edges and oil comes out it's not.
At least one main in my engine is a bit on the loose side so I am kinda living on borrowed time, or it is. Right now I just keep telling myself it's just like a shell bearing! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

Although it is a little windy in Southeast Texas, we took old Josephine out for a spin after restoring her top bows. Like driving a conestoga wagon!

Josephine #2840 May 8, 1909

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 09:46 pm:

A definite beauty, Mike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:30 pm:

Not a darn thing!! 110F in the shed!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

We need a whole new thread with just pictures of Dave Barker's speedster.
very interesting body design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:05 pm:

Last weekend (01/11/14) I fitted and painted the new floorboards for my 16 Coupelet. Got it ready for transport to its new home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:40 pm:

Cleaned rear axle parts, getting ready to blast and paint the housings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:57 am:

Steve,

I wish I had time to do 1/10th of the work that you do on your T's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:08 am:

Here's how: 1 Get old and retire; 2 Skip some of the other stuff you should be doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 11:55 am:

I'm making an exact copy of an original top boot for my '13 runabout. Slow, but fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:36 pm:

Made a drive shaft tube support that bolts to my work table, and blasted half an axle housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd Davis on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

Nothing, as its been 110 degrees for 2 days and still got 2 more of the same to go. So I have been looking on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 12:06 am:

Lloyd, think of it as 43. That sounds a lot cooler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 01:58 am:

We went on an HCCA Tour to the Orange County Tram Museum on Sunday. The 14 Touring ran well but the hood fit got worse and worse. It seemed that the hood rod, between the firewall and the radiator had got longer!! Once home I realized the rod had pulled thru the 3/4" firewall. I guess that is 100 years of wear. I fixed it this morning. after removing the oil box. The hood has never fitted so well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:13 am:

Fed-ex and Snyders set a new record for delivery time, just 5 days, so despite the third of five days estimated to be over 110 degrees, I fitted a new handbrake quadrant and pawl. It was cooler down in my pit than elsewhere.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 06:28 am:

Started up the car and drove a little in the white snow, but the U.S. has gotten more!
Here it is only a little new snow

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration