All right you detectives-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: All right you detectives-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:39 am:

Who can discover the rest of M. R. Spoo...'s name?

It will take some research, but there are clues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:00 am:

Right off the bat, with no research, I'd guess the name is Spooner. I'd also guess Cicero means the town in Illinois. Looks like the truck is built on a 1915 chassis with some custom parts, like those six-lug demountables and the front bumper. Lots of 1915's, including mine, have a mechanical horn like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:05 am:

I agree Steve. The dash, or coach lamps as I call them, however, are 13/14. The controls appear to the the spoon style of 13 - 15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:16 am:

It seems to me that if the next letter was an "N" we should be able to see it, the space after the O seems too large to me to allow another letter there. However M. R. Spoo doesn't sound right either. Maybe "M. R. Spoo & Son 43. W. 12th St.", maybe that's Mr. M. R. or little Spoo in the apron.

I doubt that the town was Cicero, just the phone exchange... "Cicero 4". Probably a small town to have a phone #CI4 (that's 244).

There's lots of metal on that cowl and body. Interesting photo, Herb.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 07:22 am:

Rear fenders are 1913 - 14 bent down for modernization sake. Cowl hood former is 1915 - 16. Appears to be a collection of parts from several years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:09 pm:

Cicero was indeed the exchange for Cicero, IL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

Here's another clue. W. 12th Street in Cicero, IL is now known as Roosevelt Road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

LinkedIn lists at least 10 people with the last name of Spoo in the greater Chicago area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:35 pm:

Why not just phone Cicero 4 and ask for Mr. Spoo.
Or perhaps the painter forgot one period and it really should be M.R.S. Poo.

Anyway it is a very fine photo. Thanks for posting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

Cicero research librarian at the main library may have a city directory from that period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

If there are any letters after Spoo, here are some names that start with Spoo on the US.

Numbers are: Rank in USA, # in USA, # per 100000

SPOO ---- 54269, 356, 0.13
SPOOLSTRA --- 93006, 183, 0.07
SPOON --- 9856, 3025, 1.12
SPOONAMORE --- 62775, 298, 0.11
SPOONE --- 95091, 178, 0.07
SPOONEMORE --- 37986, 549, 0.2
SPOONER --- 4524, 7209, 2.67
SPOONHOUR --- 99725, 168, 0.06
SPOONHUNTER --- 101654, 164, 0.06
SPOONMORE --- 87348, 198, 0.07
SPOONTS --- 118954, 135, 0.05
SPOOR --- 18619, 1365, 0.51

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

There was a Martin Spoolstrid b1891, in Chicago

Also a Martin Spoolstra b1885, in Chicago

And another Martin Spoolstra b1901 in Chicago

And a Mark Spooner b1885 in Hebron, Mchenry Co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

What do you want to bet he/they are Jewish.
Nothing negative intended here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

What's going on with those wheels? A demountable system?

I saw those names listed for the 1910 census in Family Search. But scratch Mark Spooner from McHenry since it turns out he had a middle initial B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wahrendorff on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

I found that his name is Henry R. Spoo. At the time of this photo he lived at 5943 W. 12 St. , Cicero, IL. I also found that he was born April 24, 1881 in Germany. He emigrated to the US on 1897 and was naturalized in 1906. Sometime in the early 1920's he moved to 1128 Wesley Ave. in Oak Park, IL. and later moved to Chicago. His wife was named Martha. I couldn't find a death date yet. His occupation was listed as Meat and Grocer and later as a meat cutter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Richard,

What was his mothers maiden name?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

Thank you Richard.
I think that is the best answer!
I hope everyone had fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wahrendorff on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

It was fun Herb. Oh by the way, his middle name was Richard.

Henry, that information might be on his birth certificate if you can find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

Interesting, I see the Henry R. Spoo Registered for military service in Sep. 1918 and his address is listed as 1128 Wesley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

This phone directory seem to positively tie Henry to the photo:

Same phone number and listed as "groc"

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:15 am:

Here is a bit more. Henry must have been doing okay, He got a building permit for two stores in May 1922.

The original photo fits quite nice with what 1128 Wesley Ave. in Oak Park, IL looks like today. The house on the left has the porch walled in but what can be seen of the house on the right it fits very well.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:32 am:

You guys (and the internet) are just amazing !

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:48 am:

Who lives there now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:05 am:

could it be the same house on the left in both pics. The porch roof line, window placement and the porch floor height seem the same. The brick may have been added later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Can't imagine the government allowing a 37 year old to enlist. I thought the cutoff was 28. If he was married in 1899 as an 18 year old and had a son 9 months later in 1900, his son could have reached the enlistment age of 18 by 1918, which accounts for the late enlistment, date of September, 1918, as America entered the Great War in 1917. As it is, since he enlisted in September of 1918 and the war ended just 2 months later, in November, he would not have seen any action, hardly having time to complete boot camp. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

Jim P.
Yes, I thought is was strange for that old of person to be called too. In the notice above it says that they had two classes, one 18 to 21 yrs and one 31 to 45 yrs. A lottery was used to determine who actually was called to active duty, so Henry may not have been called. There is probably a record of that someplace too.

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration