Don't be a Mark

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Don't be a Mark
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:48 am:

Don't be a Mark

There is no Con

Without a Mark

If you are expecting something for nothing

You will get what you paid for ....

Nothing

So - don't complain about it .... :-(

Don't be Greedy

Pay a fair price

Use common sense

Jim :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:13 am:

Good advise,but what is a fair price?? By the mile,trip,hour,what is a fair price? Common sence tells me to ask first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richardwolf on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

Did I miss something????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

Don't know if I should be offended or not! (NOT!) LOL :-)
Mark(G)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

I learned that from "The Sting" in 1973. If you haven't seen it, it's a great family movie, set in the 1930's, with great music, that will keep you guessing to the very last scene. I remember it got me and the entire audience I watched it with, good! We liked it so much we all broke out in applause which is rare for a movie theatre. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

Excellent movie, that brought the compositions of Scott Joplin back into the public's view--and raised the price of ragtime records (I was buying them in the $1.8 discount area--after this movie, they were up in the $12.99 area!.
BTW, Joplin died in 1917 (or close, no notes (pun intended) on hand) and Ragtime was way out of favor in the time period of the movie--but I loved it! The ending was a real surprise (for me).
My favorite lines? "You want flat rate or percentage?" "Who's the mark?" "Doyle Lonnigan"
---- "FLAT RATE!"
:-)
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

Ragtime in The Sting is an example of a common practice in movies, using music of the wrong era. A recent example is The Artist. A great movie set in the late twenties, but with Louis Prima's Sing Sing Sing, a swing era hit from ten years later. To some folks old music is old music and they don't know or care about the history of it. That said, I thought Joplin's music worked wonderfully well for The Sting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:48 pm:

Only reason I've never watched it again is because I had to listen to so much Scott Joplin for about 2 years after that and got sick of it. Mostly piano recitals at 4-H shows and the recitals were of varying quality.

Audience reaction was similar to Jim Patrick's experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:54 am:

Warren, what's not to like about "The Maple Street Rag" ??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 01:08 am:

The Stallone movie OSCAR uses correct music. At one point he's yelling at his teenaged daughter "It's the music you kids listen to nowadays! (Picks up record)Cab Calloway? Don't you think I haven't heard the lyrics to Minnie the Moocher!"

The other good throwaway is "Well, if it isn't 'lil Anthony, (looks out to see his car) and his Imperial"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:40 am:

One movie that was totally ruined by the WRONG music was the recent "The Great Gatsby",with Leonardo Decaprio, set in the 1920's. It would have been sooooo much better had they used jazz instead of rap. As for The Sting. I was in the Marines when i saw it in Morehead City, NC and went out the next day and bought the eight track of the movie music soundtrack. I wore that tape out.

It was really funny when the oil rig astronauts submitted their lists of things they wanted in order to make it worth their while to risk their lives on the mission to save the world from an asteroid, one of them wanted them to bring back eight track tapes. I agree.

I now have a player piano with hundreds of rolls, to provide me with ragtime music. In addition to all the Sting rags, I love Maple Leaf Rag, Black and White Rag and Twelfth Street Rag. "Solace" sounds great on the player piano. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:04 am:

I am convinced that directors don't care about authenticity as long as they can get you in the theatre seat. As an example of how they can get it wrong even in modern movies my parents took me to see final countdown when I was home on leave from the Navy, I broke out in hysterical laughter when I saw about 6 guy's "acting" like it was difficult to load a 200 pound sidewinder! point being most people don't know or care about accuracy as long as the story is good, and the directors know this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:19 am:

I almost got up and walked out on "The Great Gatsby" in disgust when they started playing rap in a 1920's setting, but they already had my money. It's bad enough having to listen to rap in everyday life but for them to ruin what could have been a good movie with it, that I paid good money to see, crossed the line.

The movie I was referring to regarding the oil rig astronauts requesting the return of 8 track tapes was "Armageddon". Another good movie. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 04:19 pm:

Very interesting you should mention the horrible music in Gatsby....it seems they were trying to make the film relevant for a new generation? As bad as it was, a great album came out of an association with the movie. Bryan Ferry, who was popular in the 70's and 80's pop scene I believe, later fell in love with 1920's jazz and has made a couple of period correct recordings. Some of his music is in the background of the new Gatsby movie but never really featured. His new album "Yellow Cocktail Music" features songs from the movie and modern times that have been translated into 1920's jazz. Here is the link:

http://www.bryanferry.com/yellow-cocktail-music/#audio

I challenge you to listen to "Empire State of Mind" which is a rap song from 2009 that I would swear was from the 20's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 05:43 pm:

Some of the music on the website is new in the old style, and some is orginal recordings of the era. I haven't heard much of it yet, but I'd say the old style performed by the new guys is pretty much on the mark. From what I've heard so far the new material suffers by comparison to the work of guys like Fats Waller and James P. Johnson, but so did most of the old material.

Thanks for the link. This will be good listening while I'm slaving over a hot computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

Well?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration