Model T fuel gauge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T fuel gauge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:25 am:

Several months ago someone posted a photo of an original after market fuel gauge. It was a gas tube type that mounted just in front of the seat riser. If anyone has a copy of that picture I would sure appreciate a reposting of it. Thanks in advance.

Larry Noller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:27 am:

Perhaps glass tube would be more correct!
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Here you go.

gage1 gage2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

is there a vent in the top of the glas tube? how does that work? does it vent back into the gas tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:24 pm:

The one that I saw had a vent hole above the glass tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

I am thinking about having my shop make a few of these if I could get enough interest in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

I have such a fuel gauge in my 19 centerdoor. It is mounted right by the right rear corner of the fuel tank. It is nice to be able to quickly see the fuel level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:32 am:

That Baer-Glauber gauge looks like the one on Ralph Ricks car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 02:11 am:

Fuel fumes in the car from a bleed hole?? or Broken glass?? or leaking seal at tube ends??. Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:36 am:

This is on the '14. It works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:38 am:

Theres one like Royce shows currently on tbay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accessory-FUEL-GAUGE-GAS-CAP-for-Model-T-Ford-s-1909-192 7-by-Akron-Selle-Co-/321292212451?hash=item4ace8218e3&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:51 am:

If you do go into making these i think everyone would agree that swapping the glass tube for a high quality plastic tube would be a great idea. at least a plastic tube has the ability to take a lick or two! I plan on making a gauge like this for my speedster but due to the custom nature of speedsters, this gauge would be to tall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:48 pm:

I think I will have the guys in the shop make a couple of prototypes and see how they work.
A plastic tube would be a good plan if I can find a supplier.
The was some concern about the gas fumes inside the car from the vent hole, that hole could be very small and allow the level to stay constant. I'll let everyone know how they worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Try Tap Plastics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney Aspenson on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

Got the pipe for my fuel gauge from McMaster Carr... Here's a link to the catalog page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#clear-pvc-pipe/=q5kape
I used the schedule 40 clear PVC, 1/4" tubing...
It's been on my '15 for about a year, so it holds up well to the gasoline chemicals.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r8Q_9_hylq4/Usy3QK0EufI/AAAAAAAANeo/RWM0DTZLc yY/w435-h580-no/IMG_7078.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wTONhqMfbVg/Usy3QT-_bRI/AAAAAAAANes/32yXtrxe4 7U/w774-h580-no/IMG_7076.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p-M3uHnXM1Q/Usy3ZuWmL4I/AAAAAAAANe8/T0nj-xsjr EY/w435-h580-no/IMG_7079.JPG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 12:56 am:

rodney, what kind of pipe fittings are you using to attach that pipe to fuel line?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney Aspenson on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

Nathan, it's a brass fitting that has 1/4" pipe thread on one end and 1/4" barbed on the other... It was very easy to run a 1/4" pipe thread tap into the lower end of the tube...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration