OT - hint for failed furnaces

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - hint for failed furnaces
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

It's minus 18 here. Lots of New high efficiency gas furnaces failing when the plastic outside gas exhaust pipe is blocked by snow drifts. Same happens on mobile homes when the roof exhaust is blocked by snow. As o if your furnace fails during heavy snow check for a blocked exhaust stack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

My furnace has been non stop for wood, I just love Ohio weather, tell me why I still live here??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

Thanks David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

8 degrees is to cold for my dogs in my opinion so I am camping out in the shop and will keep the wood heater stoked up.
I hope everybody burning wood has their flues clean.And older furnaces, a lady lost her house this morning to a bad furnace chimney.
so be careful folks.and keep a check on old folks and pets outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:20 pm:

My furnace has a flame sensor. It would light then go out after a short period. I got the service man out, he knew less than I did and suggested I replace a $500 circuit board. I bid him farewell, and then went fishing on the Internet where I found out about the flame sensor. It looked okay, but I gave it a thorough cleaning, and walla!, the furnace came back to life and still works fine 5 years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

It was 19 below here this morning, and it only got up to 8 below for the days high.

Bummer. Brrrrr....

Stay warm, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:38 pm:

This is why T guys rule! We can fix things. A couple of years ago my furnace quit working on Christmas day. I could hear the ignation sparking but it would not fire. I had no choice but to try to figure out why as it would have been hard to get a service guy out and it was butt cold here in Denver. Got the tool bag out of the T and started tearing the darn thing down. It turned out that a spider had crawled up into pilot gas tube and expired! Total time to trouble shoot and fix was about 1/2 hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:57 pm:

Sounds like Ted and I had the same service guy. When we had the sign shop here one of the ovens wasn't working right and I called a "professional." He was clueless, so I figured it out and fixed it myself.

Keith, that's why my family fled Wisconsin and moved to Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:23 am:

LOL. Steve, Many years ago when solid state cards were starting to replace hard wired components I had a 125 Hp IR screw compressor that started tripping the main breaker every time you tried to start it in the manufacturing facility that I was working in. Some trouble shooting found that there was a card with 3 components on it that delayed loading the compressor for a couple of seconds to allow the delta wye motor starter to work and get the motor to full speed. A call to IR found that the card cost a little bit above $300.00 and was not in stock. The compressor fed the whole plant and we were hard down. I told the IR folks "No thank you" and that I would wire around it. They told me that that could not be done! I drove to Grainger and bought a $15.00 delay timer and that compressor was still starting years later when I moved on. T guys rule!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:23 am:

Keith,Don't forget your hat!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:49 am:

Ted - My high eff furnace had the same problem. Luckily, I got the guy who installed it to come out and he was great. He pulled out the flame sensor, wire brushed it, and I was back in business. He didn't even want to charge me, but I insisted since everyone's got to make a living somehow.

He told me that if everyone replaced the filters on time, he'd be out of a job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:50 am:

When I lived and worked in the Arctic we used to say that when it got to 40 below and the degrees were an inch apart THEN it was cold.
40, 50 and 60 below was common there in the winter.
Nowadays 30 or 40 below doesn't bother me, what does bother me is the salt crap they put all over the streets and roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:55 am:

When I was selling my house in Connecticut, the buyers wanted the furnace inspected (gas fired hot water boiler, running hot water to baseboard radiators). I called around and picked a local heating and cooling contractor to come out and do the inspection. He sent two guys who made a lot of noise for two hours, then came upstairs and told me my furnace was dangerous, so they disabled it six different ways and wanted to sell me a new furnace. I sent the crooks on their way and called the gas company. They sent a guy out the next day that undid all the disabling the previous guys had done, then did the inspection and told me my furnace was in excellent condition and working perfectly.

Lesson learned - if you need a gas appliance inspected or serviced, call the gas company, they don't have the conflict of interest that some contractors apparently struggle with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:58 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

To keep a flue clean when you burn wood, throw in some common salt now and then. Flue cleaning logs contain sodium chloride which is common salt. I take from my salt bag for my water softener. I have two wood burning stoves installed in two fireplaces. Put them in 30 years ago .I cut my own wood, perhaps 6 cord a winter for extra heat. Burning old oak today. Only 10 below here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:53 am:

Darel, not sure that would be a good idea with todays metal zero clearance fireboxes with metal chimneys. I'm afraid the salt would eat up the pipe. I make sure I burn best quality wood, mostly Ashe, well seasoned, and burn it hot and hard. My 11 year old metal chimney doesn't have a sixteenth of an inch of residue in it. I would think that if that would catch fire it would burn itself out before damaging the chimney.

They can also have their modern high efficient gas furnaces these days. All they do is break down. Virtually everyone I know, and there's plenty, have had problems more than once with theirs. I'll keep my all electric heat pump with backup heat strips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

Haven't used any heat for the last 3 weeks! When the rest of the country cooled down, So. California heated up. It is supposed to be around 80F next week. I actually wish it would cool down and rain. We have a water shortage.

When we do heat the house, we use a wood stove installed in the fireplace. It is very efficient. Heats very well and if we pack it with wood when we go to bed, it will burn all night and just add more wood in the morning.

Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration