OT - Anderson letter about the new Ford Motor Company, 1903

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Anderson letter about the new Ford Motor Company, 1903
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:35 pm:

I've seen this some time ago, but with the other information learned about Ford Motor Company and the financial success FMC achieved so quickly, the letter seems almost prophetic. John Anderson was one of FMC's two attorney's who were among the original investors. John wrote this letter to his father on June 4th, 1903. He spells out "the plan" down to details about costs and production. It's amazing to me how closely events followed Anderson's description.

http://hfha.org/henry_ford_story_legacy/Anderson_letter_Ford.pdf

A few excerpts from the letter:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 01:12 am:

I first saw this in Bruce's book Model T the car that changed the world. I think it is back in print.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:09 am:

I wonder if John was asking to borrow money from his father so he could invest in the company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:56 am:

Dennis,

I believe I read that was the reason, although the link didn't say that.

What a great ROI (return on investment). Even A. Y. Malcomson, who sold his stock to Henry Ford in the sumer of 1906, received an incredible amount considering his out of pocket investment cost was about $7,000. His stock sold for $175,000, plus over one hundred percent in dividends prior to the sale.

$7,000 in 1903, according to one inflation calculator, equals $184,000 today. The stock sale in 1906 for $175,000 equals 4.6 million dollars today!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration