Trip Up Country

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Trip Up Country
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 02:46 am:

Dennis Prince:

I forgot to tell you that if your daughter ever wants someone to accompany her 26 roadster up country, I would be more than happy to scare up some other Ts to go with her. I can usually even round up a vulture wagon to go with us if she wants. All she had to do is say the word and I am ready to go!!!!
The next few months will be very interested as she would get to see all the big heavy equipment repairing the flood damage. With the exception of Glen Haven all the State Highway that I know of are now open.

equipment

equipment #2

equipment #3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 09:19 am:

Dave,

Where's the snow?

Detroit Zoo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

Thomas Mullin:

We get very little snow in Berthoud, maybe a couple of inches a few times a year. Its a very mild climate here. Its up in the mountains where we get the snow. Coincidentally We did get some lately, the snow is usually gone in a day or two but this has hung on. It was 41 degrees here this morning, I didn't even wear a coat when I drove to town.
I have posted this picture of snow up on Trail Ridge before. Its just below the TWO MILES ABOVE SIGN.
two miles above
hidden Valley upper Curve

The last picture is at the information station a few miles from the top of Trail Ridge. I believe that it was taken in June.

information station

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

Why would you tie that beautiful little girl to that sign post? She couldn't have been that bad on the ride up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Denis Smith:

All kidding aside, the other side of this snow drift is down a thousand feet or better. The park service tries to keep people off the top of the drift because if they accidently slide off the back side they are dead. It happens, I don't know of a case at this spot but I have seen it on other places along the road. I would guess it happens at this spot also as its at the lodge and has crowds of people. In the late summer there are telescopes that you can use to see down to the bottom and watch the elk.

Elk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

The picture above was taken by Texas T Parts on about June 29th. This was not too far from the Lodge on top of Trail Ridge, where I took the picture of the little girl standing in front of the snow drift. Also it was fairly close to the side of the road. We had 85 Ts up there that day. It is common to see herds of elk along the road up that high in the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

The picture above was taken by Texas T Parts on about June 29th. This was not too far from the Lodge on top of Trail Ridge, where I took the picture of the little girl standing in front of the snow drift. Also it was fairly close to the side of the road. We had 85 Ts up there that day. It is common to see herds of elk along the road up that high in the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:03 pm:

Dave,
When we were out your way Thanksgiving we had to stop, leaving Estes Park, and wait on a herd of elk to cross the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:19 pm:

This was just up the road from Golden. They're all over the place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:44 am:

Don't drink the water!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:56 am:

Guaranteed that the minute you receive the tag you've waited for years to draw, you'll never see one that close during hunting season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 09:12 am:

Dave, the photos of the Ts and all the snow is marvelous. Dena said we have to add this area to our bucket list of places to visit. Thank you for sharing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:11 am:

Dennis:

I hope you do come out, Coffee is always on and as I said in another post the wife keeps some good baked goods on hand. She is particularly good at cinnamon roles. If you bring a T I am always ready to hop in one of mine and head up country. If you can find time to stop by the shop I always have an interesting project that I am working on for someone. For a one nighter you could always do Grand Lake over Trail Ridge for 83 miles or Walden, over Cameron Pass for 118 miles.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:21 am:

In the picture above I have a Jay sitting in my hand eating peanuts but he would not eat the chocolate. They are also called camp robbers or Canadian jays. The reason the are called camp robbers are if you are camping the will steal any food that you have out in the open. This picture was taken at Rainbow Curve, tow miles above sea level. It about half way up to the top of trail ridge. I will try to post a picture of Cameron Pass which is on the way to Walden, Colorado.

Cameron Pass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:28 am:

Dennis: Another neat trip in the area is Snowy Range Pass between Laramie and Saratoga, Wyoming. The 24 Sedan belongs to Robert Ducharme.

Snowy Range Pass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:35 am:

Dennis:

The route above, Snowy Range Pass, was voted the 3rd most scenic drive in the lower United States.
Trail Ridge between Estes Park and Grand Lake was voted the number one most scenic drive in the lower United States.

Trail Ridge

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration