So if you like old motorcycles, how about a Thor-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: So if you like old motorcycles, how about a Thor-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 08:30 am:

I saw one of these once in a private collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 11:34 am:

I heard that they gave the motorcycle that name because your butt got Thor after riding one of these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Thor started almost like the Dodge Brothers by building engines for a pioneer, Indian in this case. They were more eager to get their own motors out and got a licence deal with Indian but developed their own design later on when Indian started engine production of their own.

This twin looks like a 1912 or '13 1000cc. Likely the Aurora Automatic Machinery Company in Aurora, Ill, built their last motorcycle engines in 1916, but continued to put together and sell leftover bikes until 1919 or 20.

Competition against cheap Model T's and other motorcycle companies was too hard.

A collector in my town has slowly kept on restoring two 1916 Thors for decades. Great looking machines with lovely details in two tone blue and nickel finish :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 12:23 am:

Great shot, I like Thors - very cool motorcycles. I know of three folks who own at least one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

Roger,
Your wealth of knowledge and/or reference material never seizes to amaze me.
Just a note; today I received my "Väderkalender 2014 med bondepraktika" from my son-in-law in Umeå.
That would be the Swedish version of the "Farmers' Almanac" over here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

Thanks Roar, but mostly I'm just good at googling ;)

Fun to read the Swedish version of the farmer's Almanac, but don't rely on it :-)
In fact the official Swedish almanacs had the predicted weather printed for hundreds of years.. Professor Celsius of thermometer fame thought the same weather came back in a 19 year cycle in 1729, but the Royal Swedish Academy of Science who sold almanacs finally abandoned that idea in 1869. Nowadays again experts thinks they have models to predict the climate for the rest of the century, but I think I'll keep my scepticism about any predictions beyond a week or two into the future ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:46 pm:

Roger,
"a week or two" is pushing it, methinks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration