Today's Ride

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Today's Ride
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

We'll it's up to 14 degrees this morning and sunshine.... I have been reading several threads where others were driving their T's in the zero and below this year so I decided to give mine a crank... If it started I would go out to town and enjoy the cool and fresh air...Oh, I forgot to mention mine is a tudor sedan...now that's a lot of difference from the touring's, coupelet's and other open cars ya'll have been driving which caught my attention in the first place and encouraged me to drive mine.... I wanted to experience just a little more of yesterday and what it was like to live in those times..

Like what happened this Monday at 1800hrs when we were without electricity due to a blown transformer on the line with only 4 degrees temp. So we brought out the kerosene lamps, a gas heater and my grandpa's old guitar and sat in the den and made more memories (yea right) until 0230 Tuesday morning when electricity finally came back on ...At least back then Dad had a wood heater glowing cherry red and five of us kid's to make some noise...Pat and I sang and played every song we knew....

I am amazed and now totaly admire the one's of you that can actually enjoy driving in the blistering cold with no top.....I actually stopped and rolled the window's down and opened the front glass just to try to get an idea of the cold you were withstanding....only in a few minutes I was pulling over and closing them all...Glad to have a sedan for the winter....when spring gets here I may start looking for an open car.....who knows.....Stay warm......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

That's a nice story Chester. Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:33 pm:

Nice you got out for a ride Chester. Hope you didn't run on any road salt. That's what keeps me from trying to "rough it" in even my Model A, let alone all the open T's.

And speaking of "living yesterday"...we did that too actually yesterday, but only for the 8 seconds it took for the standby generator to fire itself up when our power went out too! LOL...my "roughing it" was rushing to get out the two oil-filled space heaters and fire up the fireplace, as with an all electric home, our generator isn't big enough for that. We fared well, for no power for over 7 hours with all the cold and wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

Good for you Chester. It definitely gives you a feeling of what folks went through to get places 90 years ago. Tudors are great for that.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 02:24 pm:

Chester:

Glad to hear that someone drives their Ts in the winter. I don't understand guys that put up the Ts in the winter, salt or no salt, snow or no snow. I drive at least on of mine to town every morning for coffee with the guys. I almost always drive my 16 touring. I don't have a side curtain on the passenger side because I don't like to take the time to snap and unsnap the passenger side curtain every time I want to get in or out.

It usually is a very mild climate here but a few days ago it was a -3 degrees. It set some records for parts of Colorado. I drive my 24 coupe to town because I have my 16 down putting on Rocky Mountain Brakes. The coupe sets in an unheated garage and the temperature is usually the same inside as out. I gave the coupe a shot of either because I still have 30 weight oil in it and didn't know how well it would turn over with 30 weight oil. The coupe started right up

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

I was glad that the coupe started up so easily as I have not hardly ever driven in in over a year. It was 35% degrees this morning and I drove the coupe to town, it started OK even though I did not give it a shot of either. The picture above is on trail ridge early in the season.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

I've had my '19 Runabout running about in December and January but only when there is no salt. I have thought that one day I should get a Coupe for the winter and rustproof the daylights out of it like every month. It should be easy to reach all the parts on a T for washing and oil spraying. Still I just can't bring myself to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

The 1925 Touring I now own, was my dad's daily driver for about a year while he worked at the Ford Rouge Plant. In more recent times he never seemed to want to relive the "old days" by driving it in the winter. (Actually, he drove it to the Ford Tractor Plant in Romeo, MI, in the winter, when he celebrated 35 years with Ford.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

Hey All,
Sounds like you all have plenty of winter driving experience in a T.....I hope to be there one day....

Dave, I just retired on Jan. 3rd. so I haven't got a chance to make friends at the local coffee shop yet.... It would only be a McDonalds anyway, but the fellowship would be nice...

Those Colorado Mts. sure look good...I spent two weeks in Golden Colorado about ten years ago and really enjoyed the stay....

As for salt here, they only salt the main roads so the back roads are good to drive on just a little hilly....I got to slipping a little on the frozen ice at the stop signs but no real problems...

I love driving the T so much I am ordering a set of the disc brakes next week so we can make more tours next year. I will feel a little more comfortable going down the hills and especially in heavy traffic here in town....

We plan on traveling the Smokey Mts. this summer and I sure want to stop...Pat gets scared enough when riding with me as it is....I sure don't want her to bail out on me....We've been married 40 years in March, don't want to lose her now....

Enjoyed reading all the replies and again...STAY WARM...Chet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration