New tool - rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New tool - rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:02 pm:

Raising a rear axle with the jack in the middle is considered a bad practice, so today I made this jack adapter.

I put it to work right away and set the car up for pulling the rear end.

With a six foot length of square tubing between the muffler and the rear spring, it's a simple matter to drop the axle and pull it out the back.

As you can see, this car has the wrong spring, spool, and drive shaft housing for 1915, so I'll replace those while I have the rear axle out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

Nice job Steve I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

Nice.

While you're at it, going to replace the spring for a taper leaf, and replace those late shackles too? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

Yep, the tapered spring and the figure eight shackles are ready to go in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:25 pm:

And Steve, you might consider a correct muffler and a proper mounting for it. Looks like a muffler shop quick fit!!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:09 pm:

Steve,
Tell us about attaching the tool to the jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

Looks bolted to that swivel plate on the jack arm.
Nice setup. I like it. Makes it easier for a one man job too, and for pulling out the rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

Nice Steve - I made mine out of wood - back to the work bench !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 08:53 pm:

Tim is correct. I just drilled and tapped a couple of holes in the swivel plate.

The muffler is one of several things not exactly kosher on this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 12:18 am:

Steve, I may have some extra cast ends and possibly a complete muffler if you want to put a more correct one in while you are there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 11:50 am:

Looks like "gorilla" welds, ugly but strong.

Tim, that "swivel plate on the jack arm." is called a saddle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 12:29 pm:

Great job. I've been raising my rear ends from the middle for years, with no problems. Is this car your '15 roadster? If so, you've got some correcting to do. Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

I especially like the idea of having the frame supports as far back as possible and outboard far enough to clear the radius rods.

But one question: With the rear wheels removed, can you roll the rear axle out while it's supported only on the floor jack ? I always visualize rolling the rear end assembly out on the rear wheels, but your method opens up much better options for frame supports.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

Being somewhat of a coward when it comes to crawling under anything that might fall on me, I'm wondering about the possibility of the car rolling forward a couple inches and the frame slipping off the crossbar. Do you have any sort of tangs on the support crossbar to keep the frame from slipping forward?

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

Yes, 1915. I have a bunch of more correct parts to install.

Yes the assembly rolls out on the jack. And no, the frame can't slip forward off the cross bar because the spring is behind the bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

Nice licence plate !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 03:13 pm:

Here's a video on Steve's restoration of that license plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jb8IvCaGdc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:34 am:

"Yes the assembly rolls out on the jack. And no, the frame can't slip forward off the cross bar because the spring is behind the bar. "

Good. I like it even more now.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 09:02 am:

Steve:
what size square tubing did you make that jack tool..I'm no welder, but I think I'll have one made up. Love that idea. Wish I were that ingeneous! I can't even spell ingeneous!

And thanks Ken..never was much of one for nomenclature!! Hey, I spelled that right!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Nobody will ever accuse me of being a good welder, but I usually manage to stick things together so they stay put. I used heavy two-inch square tubing. That was probably overkill. A lighter gauge would probably work, and would cost less. I spent almost twenty bucks on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

Here's a pic of the one I built a few years ago, it has a third arm w/an adjustable for height end on it to support the torque tube when pulling the rear end.lifter upper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

A job is never finished until the paint is dry. :-)

I like the driveshaft support.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration