Old Photo - Non-Ford, too clear not to post

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Non-Ford, too clear not to post
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Anyone know what it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:22 am:

Maxwell, about 1908 or 1909.

:^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:23 am:

Two cylinder Maxwell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:29 am:

I don't know the car, but the 45 star flag suggests sometime before November 1907.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 02:43 pm:

I believe that car is actually a four cylinder Maxwell Model Q. Compared to two cylinder Maxwell Model LDs, I believe the brass divider sits higher up the radiator grill on the four cylinder Maxwells. Also, to me, the car in the photo looks larger than a two cylinder Model LD but not as big as a four cylinder Model EA.

That type of undated Indiana plate was in use from 1905 through 1912. That means the date of the photo is no later than 1912.

Steve:

If the flag were the only criteria to date the photo, then it could have been taken anywhere from January 1896 to today.

Make sense?

People didn't run out and buy new flags every time a state was added.

For example, the US flags in all of the classrooms of my elementary school had 48 stars when I attended during the 1970s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

I forgot they had a 4 cyl, Erik. I believe you are correct. The hood looks longer than the two's.
Thanks for the help.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison (Vancouver Washington) on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

This car is a bit bigger then the Model Q.

I believe this car to be a 1911 Maxwell Model EA touring.

The Flag would place it sometime between 1896 and 1912...and since the car is clean and new looking...I would say its 1911 or 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 06:23 pm:

The stiff button on shirt collars should also help date the photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

Dunno, but it might have been a hot time in the old town that night with two gals for every guy in the car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration