Geezer Test

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Geezer Test
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Do you wonder if you're becoming a geezer?

Take the test!

http://www.harley-geezers.com/geezer.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb, Watertown WI on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:10 pm:

I remember most of them, yet at 47, I don't think I'm a geezer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:15 pm:

You're a geezer in training - remember cutoffs and long white tube socks with multicolor bands around the tops?

When I was in college I had three pairs of dress pants, all of which had cuffs at least two inches high. All of my ties were at least 3 inches wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

When I was a lad of about 10 I visited the St. Louis Zoo with my family. We went to one of the shows, perhaps the lion show. It was in an arena and we were early. I looked up in the higher seats and saw Marlin Perkins sitting there with another man. Mustering my courage I approached him and asked him for an autograph. He said sure. Did I have anything to write on? What I had was one of my grade school 1x2 inch class photos. He signed it and I thought I was a luck kid. I think that is still around here somewhere.
But I'm not a geezer, dauntless or otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

100%. (A little dab'll do ya!) I even remember Daws Butler and Stan Freberg as Beany and Cecil on LIVE local TV. That was the original puppet version, before the animated network show and the comic book. You youngsters have missed some good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

I remember all but the chewing gum wrapper bracelets, but I was never a big fan of chewing gum so that may be why. Remember Sanforized shirts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:45 pm:

Interesting that this is on here now. I just did a search for Marlin Perkins on Wikipedia and posted this to the Speedster thread
:

As a result of his work on Zoo Parade Perkins was offered the job in 1963 for which most Americans remember him: host of the nature show Wild Kingdom. The fame he gained in his television career allowed Perkins to become an advocate for the protection of endangered species, and through Wild Kingdom he gave many Americans their first exposure to the conservation movement. Perkins also helped establish The Wild Canid Survival and Research Center (WCSRC) near St. Louis in 1971. This wolf sanctuary has been instrumental in breeding wolves for eventual re-placement into their natural habitats.[4]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

Mark - Yeah,....I guess I are one! I remember every one of those items, in fact, the 5-cent stamp is shown, and I remember that for many years, 1st class mail required a 4-cent stamp,....not to mention "penny post cards"!

Yeah, guess I'm worse than a "geezer", I'm an "ol' geezer"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

3 cent stamp. Air mail stamps. Ration coupons and tokens. Crank telephone with batteries on the floor. "Remember Pearl Harbor" Standing on the sidewalk looking through the door of the local tavern so I could see the television. Damn I'm old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

An entire generation has grown up without ever having heard a bell go "clang" as they drove across the red hose at the gas station.

Neither have they had a soda-jerk hand-mix a soft-drink concoction for them. In fact, they never even HEARD of a soda-jerk.

Neither do they know who Foghorn Leghorn is. Woody Woodpecker? Ha, forget it. Same with Gidget, the Flying Nun and the Singing Nun.

Imagine an entire generation that has never seen a Debbie Reynolds or Doris Day movie!

And now, if you see a Good Humor truck, it's at the same car show as your Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

I remember all those things. One thing which was interesting to me was the flash bulb. We could get as many pictures of the same thing as we had cameras. We would set all the cameras on time exposure and then flash the one which had the bulb. Of course all the pictures were of the same thing, but when we had something such as a wedding, each person wanted a picture of the same thing!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

I imagine used flash-bulbs and flash cubes would make neat Christmas Tree ornaments. I suppose you could do the same with (obsolete) subway tokens if you polished them up a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 05:08 pm:

After half a century of nickel Cokes, inflation reared its distressing head and around 1950 the price was raised. It went up to 7˘. A small can was attached to the machine. You were supposed to use a nickel to get your bottle of Coke, as always, and drop two cents in the can. Apparently that didn't work very well, because it wasn't long before the machines were changed to take a dime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

Ok, raise your hands - how many of us used to go down to the local drugstore with a bag full of TV tubes to test them on the big testing machine with all the sockets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 06:04 pm:

I remember all those things too. During High School, I lived with my Grandfolks, who had a drug store. I WAS the soda jerk. Cokes (on tap) were a nickel for a "short" one and a dime for a "tall" one. Shakes were a quarter and malts were 30 cents. We sold flashbulbs and Brylcreem (and Vitalis), and we gave away Green Stamps. And we got ice in big chunks from the ice plant about 2 blocks away, cut it into smaller chunks using an ice pick, then ran it through a machine in the back of the store which crushed it so we'd have crushed ice for the fountain drinks. It was there that I saw a $50 bill for the first time -- my Granddad showed it to me on his way to the back of the store to put it into the safe. I guess I qualify for Geezerdom. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

100% guilty as charged!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

I even remember my mother entering me in the howdy doody look alike contest:-( remember the penut gallery? My dad on my 10th birthday sent me to the store with a dollar and instructions to buy all the candy I could and bring it home but don't eat any of it yet, When I got home with a good sized bag he made me write down everything I had bought and what I paid for it. When I had finished he told me I could eat the candy and it would be nice if I shared it with my brothers and sister. At the age of 16 dad asked do you remember your 10th birthday,I told him yea especially all the candy. he handed me a dollar and said same deal..when I returned from the store with a much smaller bag he produced my inventory form 6 years ago and as I compared the list he smiled and said son this is your first lesson in inflation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

We saw Old Yeller at the drive in, I used a Speed Queen ringer washer for a while in the 90's, my sisters Chatty Cathy doll is still in Mom and Dads attic, watched Beany and Cecil and Sky King on Saturday and Marlin Perkins on Sunday night just before Walt Disney. Dad used Butch Wax the beer would be a regional thing. No sidewalks so no skate key. etc :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne thompson on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

anyone remember riding in front of the rear car window over the back seat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

Merlin Perkins is the only one I don't remember. I reember when Jiffy Pop first came out. I still play with erector sets & we had Lincoln Logs too.
Dial phones? Heck, when I was a kid, you only dialed 4 numbers, and if you wanted to talk to someone out of town (even 8 miles away, you called the operator!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Bob Coiro - You mentioned Debbie Reynolds and Doris Day movies; remember the movies with Paula Prentiss and Jim Hutton? Boy! I thought she was really somethin', even if she was nearly 6 feet tall!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

I was aware of a lot of those things, but since I'm only 46, I don't consider myself a geezer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

I can remember when Ice Cream was 5 Cents a Scoop or Two Scoops for a dime.
Then they raised it to 6 cents a Scoop or Two Scoops for 12 Cents and all the kids swore to boycott the store.That lasted till the first Hot Day.
You could mix & match flavors as the Ice Cream was Hand scooped from big 5 Gallon drums

Do you remember Mellow Rolls when Ice Cream was already pre Scooped and wrapped in cardboard?

Been to Baskin Robins lately the price has gone up again!

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

According to the test, at 48 I'm about half a geezer. I sure remember Marlin Perkins- Wild Kingdom was one of my favorite shows as a youngster. I can hear the Mutual of Omaha jingle going through my head right now. Johnny Carson had a lot of fun with them, usually a gag about something going on while Jim worked his way up the river. I make calls from my shop from a rotary dial phone. There are often people with grandchildren here who have no clue how to work it. Maybe because it's a candlestick phone, I don't know. Maybe the test should include the chains main out of soda can pull tabs, too.
I only saw one movie at a drive in. Mom and Dad took me to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when it came out in his 1967 Dodge Dart. Memories.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

In the luggage compartment of VW Bug, lawn chairs in the back of the Chevy crummy, on the engine cover of the 67 Ford van or 4 to 6 kids in the back of the Ford Ranch Wagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:54 pm:

I'm 50. I remember laying up in the back window of my dad's 62 Impala driving through L.A., watching "The Love Bug" at a drive-in in Lancaster, 2001 A Space Odyssey in the movie theater on the air force base (Edwards) we lived on, hippies, easy riders and their choppers and watching the first moon landing.

I remember watching news footage from Viet Nam on our black and white, my brother's cool Schwinn bike with the built-in head light, my sister's tie-dying fad, rhinestones and leather, frilly purses.

I remember my dad's obsession with stereo music and sounds. We had to listen to "real stereo" sound effects records over and over. Well that and David Bowie, Iron Butterfly and the Platters.

And I clearly remember my mom's bee-hive hair-do and horn-rimmed glasses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

Correction - my brother's bike was a Huffy:

Here's what it looked like. Same color even.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:05 pm:

I remember Coke at 10 cents and 2 bit gas during gas wars. The rest was pretty familiar and yes I remember taking bags of the large base radio tubes I'd salvaged from old radios to see which ones were still OK as spares for the old multi band radio that I listened to short wave stations in the evening. I guess I'm pretty much a geezer and figured I've earned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

How about a coal furnace in the basement? The outhouse? lightbulbs hanging down on pigtails with a pull string.Walking to school before there was a buss? In the spring the combined 7'th and 8'th grade boy's playing softball and pileing in car's to go play other schools? Being pulled on sleds by a tractor on the road? Hayrides? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

True story about a magneto phone. About 1952 I made a trip to Oregon and wanted to stop and visit an aunt and uncle who lived at Central Point just west of Medford. I got there about 9:00 PM and found a pay phone. First thing I did was raise the receiver and crank. No one answered. Then I put in a nickel and cranked again, still no response, so I tried a dime. No response. Well I thought maybe the operators didn't work at night, so I just drove right up to their house. I told them about my experience with the magneto phone. Their response was: "You crank before you raise the receiver!"

Where we lived we had dial phones, so that was my first and only experience with a magneto phone.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

Yep, your phone won't ring the operator if the hanger is up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Z , Candlewood Lake, CT on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

How about Butch Wax for crew cuts and flat tops?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 11:19 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:54 am:

Harold,

I remember Paula Prentiss in a TV show called "He & She."

Paula Prentiss was something special, but "Batman" was also on TV and Julie Newmar, with whom I'd fallen hopelessly in love when she played the robot in "My Living Doll," had become Catwoman—and brother, she looked a whole lot better posing with the Batmobile than did Adam West and Burt Ward (and she still does).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:54 am:

After my dad retired from the Air Force, we moved back to Oregon to be near family. I was 11 then. In the mid 1970s, in Coos Bay, Oregon we could still dial 4 digits to call anyone in town AND we were on a party line with 4 other families.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 02:02 am:

You're only a geezer if you remember your kid's bike that had wood spokes. The rest of us just mellowed with age. Hey, I remember lots of things even before I was born! It's known as history. Apparently not taught in school any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 06:32 am:

Kate Smith,cartoons once a week at school,The box lunch social? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:14 am:

If your mom wraps the sandwich in your lunch in waxed paper, during recess you can sit on the paper and go down the slide REALLY FAST!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:45 am:

When I was in first and second grade the school I attended had a small creek that ran next to the playground. At lunch we would save our milk cartons and use them during recess to catch and release crawdads in the creek.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

Well, I qualify. Out of the 39 items listed there are only 2 I don't have a recollection of.

Steve Jelf: My memory of a $.07 Coke is the machine that most gas stations had where you inserted a dime and slid the drink to the end then lifted it out. They were a dime, but you got $.03 back for the bottle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 02:21 pm:

i remember when icecream was $1.20. Now it is $5.50. Don't like this inflation thing at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 04:00 pm:

I get a back ache just thinking about this stuff.

I remember filling large large glass bottles with kerosene from a 55 gallon drum in the yard that was placed on it's side in a set of x legs.
We hauled the bottles into the house and tipped them into a special holder next to a stove so we could keep the house warm.
The cap had a spring thingy that kept most of the kerosene in the bottle until we got the bottle seated.
I can still smell the kerosene when I think about it -

I also remember using the flat top of the stove to toast bread.

I was great when dad had central heat put in the house :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

I remember the woodshed on the back of my grandparents house,and carrying wood for the stove in the center of the living room and the cook stove in the kitchen.They had running water in the house but the pipes often froze and we piled straw along the outside walls in the winter.Grandpaw still had his team Bess and Bell and he used to plow his driveway with 2 large logs made into a A frame.They were poor and life was much harder then.I can still smell those horses! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

The main reason Cokes remained at a nickel well into the mid 20th century, is because vending machines were not reliable enough to give proper change. Aside from the fact that Coca-Cola owned 85 percent of all vending machines in the country.

The vending machine with the door, my dad said it didn't matter that you only had one nickel. You could put one in, open the door, grab the top bottle, pull it halfway out while pulling on the next one down, and essentially raid the machine of about 10 drinks for that one nickel.

My mother's parents didn't have running water in their house until after my grandfather died in 1985.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

We still have a drive - in theater here in Kenosha, but it might not re-open next year as they supposedly need new projectors and they're very expensive. A realtor owns the property and is just waiting for the value to come up and then will develop it.

I remember in the mid - 50's where some gas stations still only charged a nickel for a coke, but others already charged a dime. Inflation!

Back in the 60's we had a car show at an old one room schoolhouse. I had to go and used the old out house out in back. What an experience that was (read = bugs).

Anybody remember the Amos & Andy tv show? How about Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford & his '55 Buick?

I guess that makes me a geezer too.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

"Remember, leave your blood at the Red Cross, not on the highway..."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Gotcha beat, Keith. I remember the Amos 'n' Andy TV show, AND the radio show before it. Also Miss Brooks, Baby Snooks, Fibber & Molly, the Great Gildersleeve, Smillin' Ed McConnel, My Friend Irma, and Junior the Mean Widdle Kid (I dood it!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

...and Life with Luigi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:59 am:

Steve - "Only the shadow knows".......

My Wife says that I just sit at the computer all day.....but that's not really true...

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

Kieth,
I watched Highway Patrol just the other night!
Danial, My brother had a Huffy almost identical to your picture--green even!
When I was in Kindergarten, I would listen to "The Lone Ranger" on the radio after school. Anyone else remember the jingle, "See the USA in your Chevrolet"? The next year we had TV, and I WATCHED the Lone Ranger!
Lone Ranger rocking on chair on porch of retirement home, reading a book, "Apache to English Dictionary."
"Hmm, kemosabe, kemosabe---Ahh, here it is: "Slang for Doofus, also expressed as the south end of a north-facing horse."
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:17 am:

When I was in third grade we didn't have TV, so Thursday evenings I would walk two blocks to Jimmy Krehbiel's house to watch The Lone Ranger. I was at Jimmy's house after school one day and he turned on the TV and showed me the test pattern. Programming didn't come on until 6:00 PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:06 am:

About 1950 my dad was an eighth grader in a very small logging village called Marcola. Back in the mid 1990s he and I took a trip over there to look around.

There is one brick building in Marcola that is completely gutted, two stories but no floors, glass or anything but the brick frame left.

He said folks used to walk down there and watch TV after the store closed through the windows.

It was rather strange and nostalgic to stand there and imagine my dad as a young boy watching TV there.

Ralph if you're reading this, do you remember that building?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:35 am:

When I was in high school in the late 40s I used to work in gas stations. I can remember when gas went from 17 cents to 19 cents and did people complain about the high cost.
I can remember my Grand Parents getting electricity for the first time in about 1945. Before that they piped cold water from an old gold mine above them to a wooden box and that was their ice box.
I can remember the old hand crank phones.
I can remember both grand Dad's driving model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

DAvid D. - Yeah,......"See the USA in your Chevrolet",......Dinah Shore.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

Steve;
That was Fibber McGee and Molly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

Actually the official title was "The Johnson's Wax Program, starring Fibber McGee and Molly!". That's the way Harlow Wilcox always introduced it. I'm probably the only person still alive who once sat on a couch between Fibber McGee (Jim Jordan) and The Great Gildersleeve (Harold Peary).

"Gotta straighten out that closet one of these days."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration