OT - looking for the February 1907 Motor magazine issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - looking for the February 1907 Motor magazine issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

I would like to find/copy a page from the February 1907 issue of Motor magazine. I'm not sure of the page, but if anyone knows someone with a collection of the magazines, I can describe what is on the page.

Thank you for any help,

Rob

rob4holly@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

Rob,

Take a look at the Phillip Van Doren Stern book of photos from Motor Magazine from 1903 to 1953.
Pictorial History of Automobile as Seen in Motor Magazine 1903-1953 by Van Doren Stern P

AbeBooks has several copies for under $20.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

Thomas,
Thank you. The odds it will have the page I'm looking for are not good, but it sounds like a good collection of pics, so I've ordered one for $9.

I'm looking for a "Motor" magazine contest page. The contest prize was a $3,000 car. I think most people who bought the magazine tore out the page and sent in the contest entry form. As a result, this particular issue is hard to find, and the only one I've found had several pages missing, including the contest page I'm looking for.

Thank you again, I'll let you know how the book is when I receive it. Meanwhile, if anyone has any ideas on where to find this issue of Motor magazine, please let me know,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

Rob

Perhaps you are after the Jan issue of Motor, 1907.

The On-Line library of the HCCA, which you can join at http://www.hcif.org , has the search ability and you can print for educational use these pages scanned at the library collection.

Here is what the preview screen showed when I searched the HCIF site for "Motor 1907 win free"...and the two pages came up of the free contest with photos of the cars to win, the lower parts of the two pages have coupons to print contest answers and to mail in for the contest.

Motor/1907/01/page_0033.pdf [Motor (all years)] [1907] [Motor 1907]

... cars printed on these two pages. CL If you have already entered ""~ <! J r ~o.,k M-~ r uv cL0~ 16 II the contest you need name only the cars on the second page. CL If you win you may select any motor-car costing not more than $3 ,000. CL It must be understood that the winner may not sell the car he wins for at least one year. This is to prevent what happened S\ ., .Yol-J~ the ... 1Motor_1907_Jan, JllIuary. 1907 MoToR 29 CATORS, A AND OTHER MOTOR-CAR ACCESSORIES R E CL If you have not already entered the contest, begin right now by naming the cars printed on these two pages. CL If you have already entered ""~ <! J r ~o.,k M-~ r uv cL0~ 16 II the contest you need name only the cars on the second page. CL If you win you may select any motor-car costing not more than $3 ,000. CL It ... be understood that the winner may not sell the car he wins for at least one year. This is to prevent what happened S\ ., .Yol-J~ the last time we ran a contest 13 of a similar character, when 18 the winner, immediately after receiving the car, sold it, thus making the contest in reality a commercial transaction rather than what it was intended to be-a test of skill. Due notice of the closing of the contest ill be given in the February issue of MoT0 R. Second I ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:27 pm:

Oops

typed the address wrong for the HCCA library

should be : http://www.hcfi.org

sorry about that.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 11:28 pm:

Dan,

Thank you. I am a member, and have used their library in the past. I already have the January contest pages, however a third set of "contest" cars came out in the February issue, and that's the hard one to find.

I think what happened is subscribers waited for the third and last contest issue (February) and then filled out that page, sending their choices from January (actually the first set of cars were also printed in December 1906, then again in January 1907 because Motor sold out all their issues) in with the February page.

Motor received over 8,000 entries for the contest, with over 6500 contestants choosing the car they hoped to win ($3,000 or less).

I covered this in 2012, but have more information now, and was trying to get all the information to complete the "story", only needing the February contest page. I even have the two January pages, filled out by a contestant. Then, that contestant shows up as one of the contest winners.

Thank you for the help,

Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration