Old Photo - Grumpy Uncle Ernie

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Grumpy Uncle Ernie
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

That will cost you five bucks, get your foot off, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

This is where "hates muddy footprints on running boards" meets "Wow, nice boot scraper".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

Jay
... the image is flipped enough I think ....
On 15 rear fenders

Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:25 pm:

If you flipped it back would he be smiling?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 10:20 pm:

Seems to be a right hand drive! I wonder where the photo was taken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 04:35 am:

Tony, I don't think it's a RHD. The RH door doesn't have any hinges. I think the picture is reversed. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:49 am:

IMO the picture is flipped, I just held a mirror up to my screen and the picture looks more correct, although Unk is still not happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:23 am:

Nice shot for someone who wants to know what the side curtains should look like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

The kid must be related. He looks like he has the same stick stuck...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

The kid's coat is reversed from the usual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

The rear view mirror could have been used on a Pierce Arrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

Can anyone enlighten me on what looks like 5 lug demountable wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

Dave, several makers offered 5 lug demountable wheels. Firestone was a very common one found on Fords in North America. See the excellent posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/6/1256.html
Below is a photo from the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/257946.html?1326077955 showing one of Michael Philpott's Firestone 5 lug demountable wheels.

This is another photo where a little additional background on the photo would really be helpful. If the photo is of a non-English Ford -- then it is a "flipped / mirror image." Why? Because the Canadian Fords had door hinges on both front doors since 1912. And the USA cars had the dummy on the left side.

It might be an English Ford from the 1917 model to early 1918 model year as they had a dummy / false door on the right hand side on their black radiator cars from the beginning of the 1917 models up until both sides had front doors starting around Oct 1918 (ref page 133 & 134 of “The English Model T Ford” book.) And while I did not see a nice clear photo of a 1917-early 1918 English Ford with the horn button on the side of the steering column to the outside of the car, the 1918 RHD truck illustration clearly does have it located there. And other photos show the horn button on the side of the column closest to the outside of the car for both RHD and LHD English models.

Note, I have seen very few photos of English Model Ts. But of those none of them showed the 5 lug demountable style wheels. Those that do have spares tended to have complete wheels with spokes that could be bolted on or removed, or they uses a Stepney type spare wheel that was a rim that could be attached to the outside of the wooden spoke wheel and the car driven temporarily (or a long time if you kept it tight). Based on only a short 1917 to very early 1918 English Ford possibility and that it has those 5 lug demountables I think it is more likely that it is a flipped/reverse USA image photo. As mentioned before a higher resolution photo can sometimes allow you to see the Ford on the hub caps and that would clear it up one way or the other. But I cannot make out the letters on the hub caps on this photo. There also appears to be some markings on the spare tire – but again – I cannot really make it out. On shear numbers it is much more likely to be a flipped 1917-1920 non-starter USA photo than a 1917-very early 1918 English photo.

Someone who is more familiar with early clothing might be able to tell us if the boys coat appears reversed or not. And of course did the USA and English use the same side for the buttons on a boys coat?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration