Odd rod

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Odd rod
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:54 am:

One surprise after another on this car. Was this squashed intentionally? If so, why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

nope. I have seen lots of these, filled with water then frozen up.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

I once had a 14 rear axle wit both radius rods bulged like that. One of the old timers here also said it was from water in them freezing
Dale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

I thought that was the way rear radius rods were made after late 13 for awhile ????. I have had DOZENS of them.

radius rods

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

I have several like that. Do you think it freezes enough in Califunny to do that? A couple I have that were cut show very little sign of water damage or rust inside so I would think it was not caused by freezing water. I am curious to see what others think about this.
Drive carefully, and enjoy ,W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

I agreee,they were flared,but Steve's looks like it is more so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

Steve, is yours cracked on the side of the bulged area, or is that an optical illusion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

In support of the frozen water theory is that the Rodda book doesn't show any rods like this. I don't find any mention at all of radius rods in the encyclopedia.

Against the water theory is that this rod has no seam like the later ones. The only opening is a tiny hole, maybe 1/16", on the side. It appears to me that it would be hard to get enough water inside to bulge the rod.

It would be interesting to know if all the "squashed" ones are different, which would support the freezing idea, or uniform, which would suggest that they were manufactured that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

Mark, what looks like a crack is actually a paint sag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

It looks like a snake that swallowed a mouse. Be carefull it does not bite you. I agree with the water freezing. It does not take much to fill the lower end if standing up and outside unprotected , or even parked uphill. As to sunny calif. Who knows where that thing has been in its life. I have had them like that and obviously were frozen. I have seen a seam on some of the rods. If the rod is used on the wrong side that will put the seam "up" and let water in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 03:49 pm:

I've had a couple of those. the budge was full of rust. figured water had gotten in there over time and caused freeze/thawl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

That is right about where the brake rod would pass over the top. Could be an undocumented experiment to get rid of the hump in the brake rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:06 am:

Steve, looks like a freeze swell to me. There are many ways that water can get inside of those radius rods over the years. It may have even been submerged at one time in it's past, hard to tell. Once water has gotten into something like that, it's very hard to get it out, I've seen it happen many times over the years on many different things. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

I have too many of the radius rods with identical bulges to be some freak accident of freezing. ITS THE WAY THEY WERE MADE. I will admit though that steve's radius rod has an extra large bulge for some reason

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

Maybe it was intended for one of those wide-track cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

I would suspect a period "blacksmith repair" if it were not for the large number that have been seen like this. In my area anything left outside for a season can get plenty of water inside and out. It could be a manufacturing process thing. Does look like a postprandial snake though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:20 pm:

I had to look up "postprandial", thanks for the vocabulary lesson!

Steve, since you only showed the one radius rod, can we assume that the other one is not bulged to match?

Do you plan to look for another radius rod, or work up some tooling to reshape the one you have? Or is that part of the project even on the radar at this point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:44 am:

At first, I considered trying to "fix" them. After looking closer at mine, I decided they were manufactured that way. So I plan to use them like that.
I also became curious about them. Those early rods were hot extruded into a specific tapered shape, but round the full length. Much easier to do that way, making and working the rollers and mandrels round. Afterwards, simpler rollers and mandrels would be used to flatten the rods lengthwise. They probably did that in several steps (or stages). At the very least, it would be easy to not flatten the full length, especially if rushed with a demand to complete a large number in a short time to not hold up production down the line.
This particular style was used from late '14 until about '18 or '19. One could wonder at what time frame these would most likely have been used. Perhaps during the continued rush to ramp up production in 1914 and '15? Anyway, baring better information, I plan to use these on my '15 runabout.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:58 am:

Fellows, when putting together parts for my 1917 shooting brake I found 5 early radius rods before I found a matched pair. They all varied with the length of the taper before flattening out. None of them looked like Steve's!

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration