Snyder's Connecting Rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Snyder's Connecting Rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Taylor on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:52 pm:

I'm trying to get my 1926 Fordor back up and running. I need to exchange my old one for a new one, but they only sell, on their website, ones with X grooves for dippers. My car has not been fitted with oil dippers. Does anyone know if the can get me ones without X grooves?

Thanks,

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Why not add the dippers? they are only 10 or 12 bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

I'd add the dippers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

And if you don't want to add the dippers, just run the X rods without them. The X rods don't have the hole for the dipper so it won't matter that they have an X.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

Send the rods to have them rebabbitted by
Antique Engine Bearining Service
760-749-9663 in Escondido CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

A main or rod bearing rides on a layer of oil, the more oil you can get to the bearing the happier your engine will be. We don't drive at 15 to 20 miles per hour, more like 35 up. There must have been a reason Ford went back to dipper rods for the later T's, A's and up to 34 in the 4 bangers. I would get the X rods, drill the hole if its not there and add the dipper, also might think about adding an oil hole at the top of the rod cap.
Your opinion may very, but that's mine and I am sticking to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

Order four rebabbitted rods from Ron's Machine in Ohio.
When you send the four cores to them just include a note telling them you want no grooves or ex grooves.
That's what I did last fall, about six months ago. $200 plus shipping.
They come balanced perfectly, and just the way you want them - no mayo, no mustard.
shipping is under $12 each way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

If the engine was running well when you lost the rod you could opt to replace the one by fitting a used one. It's been done a zillion times. There has to be plenty of folks in your club chapter that have plenty of spares and would likely give you one. Either way it has to be fit to the pin whether its new or a good servicable one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

I have never put an Xed rod into a T, but it doesn't hurt anything. I usually drill a small hole in the cap to add splash pressure in the center of the journal where it sometimes needs it. That and an added oil line is about all I usually do to add to the factory T oiling. If a T engine is good and clean, dippers should not hurt anything. If an engine is not clean enough, dippers have been known to scoop up crud and chew out bearings.
The big potential issue with replacing one rod is the likelihood of a poor balance. Not only do you have the inherent differences between the forged rods, you have an even bigger difference between the workmanship of the individual rod rebabbitters. A little more or less Babbitt around the ends and edges of the rod can make a huge difference in the balance.
A used rod may balance in as well as any, and be the best overall short-term fix. If you want to make an improvement for the car, really consider replacing all four rods with a well-balanced set.
My first T engine, I didn't do anything to check or improve the balance. It was one of the smoothest running T engines I ever had. It was pure luck. Every engine I have done since, I have found at least one really way off rod an was glad I didn't try to run it that way. The '15/'16 totally stock center-door sedan I had would easily do 55 mph and ran smooth-as-silk.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration