Model T Rim replacements 450 x 21

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Rim replacements 450 x 21
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry H. Harrison on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

I am looking for good source for 2 450 x 21 rims.
I was shocked at aftermarket price from MACS.
Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Join The I'm Shocked Club. Sometimes usable ones come up for sale on Ebay, or check the Club Classified Ads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

Take several bad ones and cut and splice until you have a good one. Not as hard as it sounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

model t haven has an excellent site, and they respond quickly to emails, and have tons of stuff, see what they can find or have for ya, and they can ship stuff,
David Mazza

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Henry - I see you're in Ennis, MT. You might ask Stan Howe who lives in Helena, MT. He's been into Model T's for many years (like 60 years?) in MT and knows most of the Model T'ers in MT. You might also contact the Missoula Model T Club for possible sources. The going price for 21" split rims around here is about $100 for nice ones, a little less if they have pits.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:06 am:

The price is based on availability and finding a good 21' rim is tough. Corrosion has taken its toll on supply, but a great many that appear to be good have been damaged or ruined by misusing the rim jack that is only meant to expand and lock the rim. Using the jack to collapse the rim will distort and bend the rim out-of-round. Those that know this fact will not let a good one go for cheap in case they need one in the future.

Word of caution. Check the radius where the bead rests. If there is flaking rust, leave it. They get thin and will split once a tire is fully inflated, just like two of them on my sedan did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:07 am:

The 21" split rims usually are harder to find in good shape than the 30x3 1/2 rims.
They are out there but usually warped or rusted out.
I finally had to settle for 2 to complete my 25 coupe that had the clips missing. I had some from other junk rims and used those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:06 am:

If you are stuck with getting new rims, these are the folks that make them. http://www.americanvintagerims.com/

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration