Speedster plans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Speedster plans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 10:25 pm:

does anyone sell speedster plans? I have a 1913 block, frame and RHD setup and think it would be neat to do as a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

This link might interest you.

http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/MTFCA/SpeedstersBody.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:09 pm:

I have dimentionals for my boat tail. I could scan them for you. Written like a boat plan,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:21 am:

id love that Chris. Also looking at horseless carriage replicas. Anyone have any experience with them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:38 am:

The link http://www.earlyfordregistry.com/thevenet/thevenet.html has a Jul 2006 article about Lee Roy Thevenet’s replicas. Note on the dash board plaque it says replica. I was fortunate to be able to help him some with the research for his project. He contacted the Benson Ford Archives as well as taking lots of photos of a real Model N Ford. The body size and look if fairly accurate. But he changed the construction methods for several of the body parts. There are several photos of his replica at:
http://www.earlyfordregistry.com/thevenet/lr001.pdf

Lee Roy enjoys his part of the hobby – building replicas and making plans for others to build their replicas. See: http://www.horselesscarriagereplicas.com/files/March-April_2012.Newsletter.pdf He has several different replica plans available.
Technically the early parts are available to build a Model N. The problem for most of us is having the extra cash to be able to purchase the parts etc. to build an authentic pre-T. Lee Roy also has a lot of talent he uses to create his replicas. Of course he could also restore a later Model T for around the same expense in time, money, and effort. As I often say, not a right or wrong but what do you enjoy? For Lee Roy he prefers his replicas and enjoys using them in the parades etc. where he lives. His replica is not powered by a Model T engine but they could easily be built to use one. He also did a lot of extra touches to make the rear axle have the full elliptical springs on each side and the truss rod underneath and the grease cups etc. He is also a nice person to know like so many folks who like cars.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

Rob
I started with about that when I built my '13 RHD touring. I bought a new body from Rootlieb of the correct RHD 4 door version. And just kept picking away at finding the pieces. The windshield frame may be the toughest thing to find as it is unique to '13 and was not reproduced then (and I don't think now either).
That being said there is nothing wrong with a speedster. Rootlieb makes some nice early style fenders etc.
Do you have the steering column as part of your RHD set up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

I found them, I'll need to scan them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:36 am:

Jay and others have kindly posted a lot of wonderful original era photos of speedsters here (on the other T site);

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/16-Authentic-original-speedster-pic tures

Also, following, I have a few old photos stored for my use and areas of special interest. They are somewhat separated by those interests. I linked straight to brass era speedsters so you can look through and get a good idea of what real brass era speedsters looked like. There were cars and kits offered then that were very much like the Rootlieb kits available now. But you may notice that most speedsters then were more individual than that. Feel free to wander through the other categories of my interest as well. There are many photos of other brass era Ts, later speedsters etc. I do like to share these photos, however, sometimes my links don't seem to work very well. Let me know if this one works (or doesn't).

http://www.photobucket.com/user/Tspeedsters/library/speedster%20brass?sort=3&pag e=1

Most of the photos on that link were shamelessly ripped-off from Nor-Cal Jay. So I do wish to credit him. And again say "Thank you very much Jay!"

I would also like to say that I would very much like to see more "properly done" brass era speedsters being restored, resurrected, or recreated. My own mostly '13 is HCCA eligible and mostly true to 1913. I also have a pile of later '15 parts that if I ever get to it to put it together will also be done to HCCA standards (or better than my mostly '13 even). I don't want to be the only correctly done brass era speedster all the times I go.
Good luck Rob! Right hand drive would be even more interesting.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

If I had the early stuff I would consider building a replica of the 1909 NY/Seattle racer. Wait, I do have a bunch of early stuff, Maybe sometime.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

No les I dont have the column. Just about everything else tho. And many thanks Chris

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration