Tesla vs Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tesla vs Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Hi all-
Last fall there was a thread about the Car and Driver race between a new Tesla Model S and a 1915 Ford Model T. If you are interested, the magazine is now out. I think the article is quite entertaining.
Has anyone else seen it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

A neighbor brought the magazine over last week. But I have not got to it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 03:15 pm:

Here's the 2013 thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/395337.html?1382070989
And here's a reaction at a Tesla forum: http://www.teslamotors.com/sv_SE/forum/forums/car-driver-race-model-s-vs-model-t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

I read the article on the web over Xmas, interesting that cost was never mentioned. I mean the T probably is worth about $15,000 and the Tesla costs around $55,000. And it only won by an hour.... Maybe they should have tried against a 1967 VW Bug, I'm sure the Bug would have won by 5 hours. Electrics are OK for short city runs, but useless for longer trips and definitely the economics are just not there when initial cost is factored in the equation...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

Congratulations Chris and Dave!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

Considering most people (even us country folks) mostly run short trips, I see electric vehicles as being an really important part of the transportation mix in the future. An electric car may not be ideal for 100% of your transportation needs, but I bet it would fill 75% of them or better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

I love how defensive some of the Tesla guys are on their forum. I think they're missing the fun aspect of the whole race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Ford is now playing with solar cars:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/post--ces-2014-fords-solar-charged-c-max-co ncept?icid=autos_5154

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Wasn't a fair race. Chris and David are two of the best Model T mechanics out there. Not to mention long distance drivers. The Tesla folks just had factory technicians.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Chris, this is a great story that I hadn't seen. Won't you please put it up on the HCCA website, too?

Gil Fitzhugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

I'll bet the trip was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the article, especially the artistic license used in the description of the "Ruckstell?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

Seeing as tax payers are subsidizing every electric car sold,they will never be a success,until they stand on their own. Once the politicians figure out they (electric cars )are not paying their fair share of road tax,and should be proportionally more expensive to license,they will really lose popularity. Or the roads will all go to heck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:24 am:

An electric car may do for 75% of my driving! but I still need another vehicle to haul things and pull trailers. By the time I pay for insurance on 2 vehicles, license, taxes, etc, all savings are gone. I'll keep driving my pickup!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:34 am:

The Tesla is a glorious failure. It will soon be gone from the marketplace. If the Model T had been better prepared it would have arrived first. In any case a poor showing for the ridiculously expensive Tesla.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:45 am:

Actually, the Model T was very well prepared. I don't think there are too many basically stock T's that would stand up to what we put it through.

Our problem was a lack of fuel pressure when we got down below a half tank of fuel. At the speeds we were running for the length of time we were doing it, we did not have enough fuel at the carburetor. We ended up stopping every hour and a half or so through the night (which was just fine with me) just to fill up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:12 am:

But 719 miles for the Tesla vs. 765 miles for the Model T wasn't very fair - maybe the T could have won in a race over equal distances?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:00 am:

The irony is ....

Tesla is likely to be noted in history as
the first significant mass marketed electric car

Just like the Model T - it has its' place in history

Personally - I think it is great that the company is succeeding

Regarding government subsidies .....

There are tens of thousands of Federal Failures
that cost the taxpayers trillions of the years

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ian Hayhurst on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:53 am:

Royce--How on Earth can you suggest that this T was not sufficiently prepared? Look what it and the drivers accomplished!
If you meant to say it wasn't sufficiently modified (perhaps with a fuel pump?), then I think you miss the point of running a basically stock T.

Great showing, Chris and Dave!

Ian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:58 am:

Why would the T not run right at less than half a tank? I don't have that problem. Was there a Grose Jet in the carburetor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:39 am:

Ok, let's put this into perspective, who here has run their Model T for 22 hours straight at 50+ mph. They stopped only for gas and minor repairs. That sounds like they were prepared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:43 am:

Agreed, it was a fantastic effort, one to be proud of.

What was causing the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Sounds like they were going so fast the fuel couldn't catch up with the carburetor. I drive my Model T much slower and don't have that issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:04 pm:

I haven't run into that problem on my Model T, but I certainly did on my 1971 Plymouth GTX - I had to install a Hemi fuel pump because the stock 440 pump couldn't keep up with the engine's fuel demand at the top end of second gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:53 pm:

Chris, just found out about the article at our Model-T club meeting today. Bought the magazine on our way home and am still laughing at some of the more humorous comments on David's T. You know, given the difference in miles driven, it should have been a very close race, and with a stock carb, you probably could have won according to Jessica's prediction. Well done to both you and David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

The Tesla may be the car of the year for 2013, but let us not forget that the Model-T Ford was unanimously voted CAR OF THE CENTURY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:17 am:

The Tesla vs. Model T race was a clever idea in the same manner as was “The Tortoise & the Hare.” And if you’ll pardon my use of mixed metaphors, this was, for both cars, a “fish out of water” story and in that way, fair. I thought the whimsical, tongue-in-cheek writing style of the article was in keeping with the fact that nobody was really going to prove anything we didn’t already know: The Model T crew would invest more physical effort and endure the effects of weather, whereas the Tesla crew would comfortably travel in style, and get plenty of rest.

That the Tesla won by an hour sort of begs the question of whether, in the case of an automobile race, beating the competition by an hour isn’t decisive, but that kind of nit-picking would miss the point, here. Still, I’m a Model T guy and can’t help but remember the Ocean-to-Ocean reenactment race of 2009, wherein over fifty of these cars completed the trip from New York to Seattle. Had Chris and Dave’s ’15 Touring only been equipped with a thicker fuel line, they’d have beaten the Tesla by at least an hour and we’d all be gloating even more.

All rib-elbowing aside; congratulations, Chris and Dave! What a great adventure—and what an incredible job you guys did! I loved the article and a blind man could see through a brick wall that a whole lot of time and effort went into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

Thank you all. It was a lot of fun. I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it was fun. Ok...I probably would.

One thing the article left out (which we hoped would be included) was that we were roommates at McPherson College. Needless to say, it probably wasn't the first silly thing we were involved in together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 06:17 pm:

The article is now online with a lot more photos than were in the magazine. Here's a link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2013-tesla-model-s-vs-1915-ford-model-t-rac e-of-the-centuries-feature

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

I wish that they had picked me to race them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

OK so the T would have been more reliable if it had a Model T ignition system. The Rayfield carb is a nice accessory, but either a Stromberg OF or an NH Straight thru might have been better choices.

Still a great accomplishment, and well done.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration