Rear axle: A Happy Surprise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rear axle: A Happy Surprise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

After having to replace some worn engine and transmission parts in my roadster, I figured the rear axle would be the same kind of deal.

I just opened it up and found–guess what–bronze thrust washers! Not only that, but at first glance everything looks to be in good shape. After cleaning and checking everything, it may need no more than reassembly and a little paint. That would be a nice surprise. We shall see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Fantastic Steve. Lets hope so. Better safe than sorry but sure is nice to find a good surprise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 04:32 pm:

Steve,

See told you, you could do it in less than 2 days. That's a pleasant surprise. Nice to find.
:-)

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:12 pm:

Steve,
Great news on the 15 rear end. I believe that the 1915-16 (and maybe other early year) rear ends used the bronze thrust washers. I took apart 3 1915 rear ends about 30 years ago and all had bronze. None had been "restored". All the other year rear ends I disassembled had the babbit ones. Super that your 15 rear end is in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

I found the same when I opened my axle, which I thought was going to need alot of work, even the brake cams were frozen. The axle turned smooth and quiet, I opened it up and bronze washers and everything measures out to be servicable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

Steve:

What's the condition of the ring gear side casting flange that the bronze thrust rides ?? Some I've seen have grooves and some have been worn down so the thrust washer will ride on the axel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

It looks good, Bob. I don't see any problem there at all. I checked the axle bearings and found the outers had .001" to .002" wear. The right inner had .002" to .003. I can live with that. The left inner was another story. .006" to .009", with some rusty spots and galling. Apparently whoever rebuilt this couldn't find anything better, but I'll replace it. If the rest of this thing checks out as good as what I've measured so far, I'll be a happy camper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:18 am:

I have to ask, Steve, everything looks great in the axle I have. All of the wear is .003 and look nice. The ring and pinion do have some bugga bos on the pitting on both side of the teeth in several places. I do have excellant spare set. I emagine gear wear in the model t axle is normal, should I worry about it or swap it out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:19 am:

the wear is .003 and less is what that should have said

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:51 am:

When I opened up my '15 axle last year to replace the axles as one was slightly bent I too was happy to discover the bronze thrush washers. Everything else was in OK shape so once I got the axles put everything back together and it seemed to run quiet and no bad wobble of the one wheel that had the bent axle. Replaced them both anyway. Does seem at least up to '15 they had bronze. I suppose it's possible this one was rebuilt with bronze, but I don't care, as long as it has it. I just hope that my '12 has bronze thrusts, someday I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get my hands dirty and yank that rear end. But I want to build one of those neat rear-end cradles like Steve invented! Hope he doesn't patent just yet!

I'm glad your rear assembly is in good shape Steve!
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:02 am:

I found babbitt thrust washers....well, parts of them - when rebuilding the rear axle in my '12 and my '15. You can't know what is in there until you take it apart and look.

Any time I get a new addition to my herd of T's that is a priority. You don't want to find out you have a babbitt thrust washer by having it fail halfway down a steep hill. Or halfway up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Those spiral bronze washers are old. Looks like your housings are correct. So, I imagine with the rear end out, you'll put in that taper leaf rear spring?`

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:16 am:

Yep, taper leaf spring, figure eight hangers, early spool and tube. This car will be mostly correct, but I'm keeping the under-axle wishbone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:37 am:

Nice to hear you finally caught a break with that car. To bad you had to dig for it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:49 am:

No big deal.I had to pull the rear end anyway to install the 1915 spool and tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Today's thrilling episode was all about dismantling and cleaning.

Larry pointed out the older bronze thrust washers. But the work on this axle is recent enough to contain modern blue goo.

It's also recent enough to contain neoprene seals. Looks like some new ones are called for.

I'll be doing some blasting this week. Enough moisture got in to make some rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Oh Y'all hush!
When I opened mine up EVERYTHING was shot. And who ever worked on it last peened the end of the driveshaft to keep the pinion gear on!

Still, I'm happy for you :-)
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

Royce, you're right. Guess first warm day...like in March...I'll be yanking "Pete's" rear end out from under him and opening it up. It needs to have a small oil leak under the diff housing fixed anyway. The black spot on the floor under it is bugging me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

Tim -- If a small oil spot on the floor bothers you, you're in the wrong hobby. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration