Looking for OHV set up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Looking for OHV set up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Handsfield on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

Rajo, Fronty, Chevy conversion. Nothing too exotic. Prefer complete set up with manifolds, etc. contact off list: rhandsfieldmd@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:52 pm:

Hey Rod, Mark Chaffin makes an excellent reproduction Rajo BB head with everything you need (minus a carburetor). He's on the forum a good bit and also has a website for his product: http://www.rajoreproductions.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

If you're on a budget sometimes they come up reasonable, but then, they usually need some work, or are missing parts. If you want to play with OHV, be prepared to reach into your pocketbook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

Thank you Seth for the plug:D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:45 pm:

No problem Mark. I really want one of your BB kits, but right now I'm trying to scrounge up money for a simple valve job and new cam!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:03 pm:

I understand. The economy has everyone over a barrel. we'll be here when things improve:D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

You could go with a Jern Thunderbolt setup.
http://www.jernthunderbolt.com/Model%20T.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Handsfield on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:18 am:

Thanks for all the feedback. I have had my '27 Roadster for over 50 years - restored it with my dad. It has an excellent engine built by Fred Upshaw with the goodies that were considered "state of the art" for model T's way back when: Ruckstell, 3:1 gears, Rocky Mountains, Ricardo Head, Tillotson Carb, MilesBilt Split Exhaust manifold, still runs the timer - we tried a Delco distributor but the timer was superior. I have been intrigued by T overheads since I was a kid and was recently offered a 2 port Chevy Head. As I have never been a Chevy man I thought I would consider something more Model T appropriate prior to taking the plunge. Why now? I retired two weeks ago.
All the best Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Stick with an accessory OHV made especially for a Ford ! Y.M.M.V. from a RAJO BB owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:54 am:

The Chevrolet brothers made speed parts for Ford Model T's.
http://www.modelt.ca/speed-fs.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

Rod, If you were recently offered (as in free), a complete usable 28 Chevy two port head, then what I said about reaching deep into your pocket, doesn't apply. I was assuming that you, like the rest of us, didn't have such good fortune and you were going to have to buy everything from scratch, paying today's market prices. If you've got a Chevy head, buy Neal Jern's kit and go for it. I have a 4 valve F head Rajo, but would gladly trade it for a Chaffin's Rajo BB reproduction setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

If I was offered a 28 Chevrolet head with it's bigger valves I would jump and start saving my pennies for the Thunderbolt kit. I have a 26/27 Chevrolet head but the valves are about the same size as the T so not much improvement would be gained in the breathing department, compression, yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:48 pm:

Like Steve, I prefer a head specifically designed for a Model T. I really like my Fronty but the various RAJO and other heads all have their fans. Folks seem to swear by or swear at the Chevy head conversions. A buddy had one that ran really strong as long as he could keep it cool and the gaskets didn't blow. Both were issues that caused him to switch to a RAJO. We really struggled with that head and I'm still not sure how much of the difficulty was with the head or kit. The frustration level just got greater than the fun. His RAJO runs great without the issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

Rod, I hear Fred Upshaw won the Montana 500 one year, but was disqualified when they found the Chevy crank and rods. Fred became known for Chevy crank/rod conversions. The engine in the ol' brass picup was done by Fred, complete with Fronty R head.

You will have to drop the pan to see if you have Chevy crank. It's same stroke as T, but 25 lb, vs. 15 lb. for the T crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

You can learn a lot more about OHV - Heads with much more information to be added in the future

@ http://theoldmotor.com/?s=Model+T+Ford+Speed+and+Racing+Equipment

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration