OT - but rings true for many of us T'ers, Good Laugh

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - but rings true for many of us T'ers, Good Laugh
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

Should I Really Join Facebook?
Read it all the way through! It's a good laugh! AND really quite true for people in the over 60 group !!!
When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter.
I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, my 13 grand kids and 2 great grand kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.
My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.
The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Blue tooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife and everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.
I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating." You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead. Well, it was not a good relationship...
When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions, checking bathrooms, and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.
The world is just getting too complex for me. They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them with me.
Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look. I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, No, but I do fart a lot."
P.S. I know some of you are not over 60. I sent it to you to allow you to forward it to those who are.
.....I figured your sense of humor could handle it..... We senior citizens don't need any more gadgets. The TV remote and the garage door remote are about all we can handle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

Dan Killecut:

You really hit the nail on the head, I really had a good laugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

its a modern world, i try to avoid it as much as i can. i am now the last employee out of 30 that still wants a check instead of direct deposit. just seems natural and i do different things with the money each week so why send it thru space and then i got no cash for the swap meet! i have never used a atm, tried once but it new i was a fool and kept my money. my wife opened a face book account for me without asking, i had a fit and for 2 years they're junk came to my mail. it took years for my friends to convince me i need a computer, and it they hadn't showed me all the parts on ebay i would have resisted longer. i could go on...but dan nailed for sure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Some of us have trouble accepting Starters, Generators, Water pumps and Electronic Ignition. It's a nasty World out there.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

very good thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:11 am:

One of the nice things about reaching nearly 60 years of age is that I don't give a flying flip about what other folks think about me. When I get home from work I cook dinner and work on old cars. I could care less about posting about my every movement during the day. Here is a question... Why would you Twitter as that would make you a Twit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:36 am:

If you come to this forum would that make you a T-wit? Maybe I Twit a lot and didn't even realize it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:42 am:

You nailed it Dan. I'm 68, my daughter decided I needed to dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century and got me an I-phone. Well, what the heck, she's paying the bill, why not?
Some day, I might actually learn how to use the thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:19 am:

I would think being dragged into the 20th century would mean getting a Model T. This is the 21st century.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Great, so true. Stan tried to send me a text last night and I thought it was a dropped call. I have my dumb phone and it's set so that text don't come through. I didn't know he knew how to text, probably going to have to learn some of this stuff. When I look at how technology has advanced in the last ten years I'll be lost 10 years from now if I don't try and grasp some of this stuff. Then again I'm not sure I really care.
From my IPad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:22 am:

There was an old man who lived on a mountain. He had no phone. His kids and grandkids kept pestering him and finally convinced him to get a phone for safety, after all he was old and things could happen.

About 2 weeks after the phone was installed one of his grandsons was visiting. The phone rang. And rang. And rang. Finally the kid said, "Aren't you going to answer the phone Grandpa?" The old man said, "Hell no. I had that thing installed for MY convenience!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:26 am:

That's exactly the way I use my cell phone. It is a cheap trac phone that I only turn on when I want to make a call (say, to AAA if my car has broken down). When people ask for my cell phone number, I tell them it won't do them any good because my cell phone is always turned off unless I am making a call.

I never answer my home phone either, I let the answering machine screen all incoming calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:34 am:

My cel is as little as I could get. Need bluetooth for the hands off thing when driving and it does have a camera which I suppose you can't get around. My son asked me why I had 10 black photo's on it. We figured out that I was taking pictures of the inside of my pants pocket without realising it. I don't text. Don't even have texting on my account. Call me or forget it. They keep telling me that I'm overdue for a "free" up-grade. With all the hidden $$$ charges that come with it but truthfully I can't stand the look on the faces of the kids that work these places when I ask for a "minimalist" phone. I think their necessary, especially for emergencies and such, but it's a pain too. The only truly good thing about it is we gave up the land line. There was just no reason to pay for it any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

Modern technologies shows up when your wife is younger then you. I did have a cell phone before we married but no computer. She has dragged me into the computer age, enough that I can do posts on the forum and write e-mails. Our big issue is cell phones. I have an antique cell phone(as you can see in the picture) it doesn't do anything but phone calls. It even has a pull out antenna that my grandson loves. My wife has the latest Iphone. Mine sounds like a normal phone if someone answers it, hers sounds like you're on a cell phone. If someone asks me for my number, I also tell them it won't do them any good, as I only have it on when I want to use it, besides I don't remember the number. I do get in trouble sometimes when my wife tries to reach me and I don't answer, OOPS I forgot to turn it on again when she reminded me to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

Another non-texter here. When I found out I was paying for somebody to send me unsolicited religious texts, I had the phone company shut off the text function. I'm like Charlie. If they want to call me they'll just have to talk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:58 pm:

Things may not be as bad as we think regarding the younger generation. I bought a cell phone at Radio Shack about a year ago and the kid at the counter showed commendable taste. He apparently sized me up on a geezer scale of 1 to 10, and decided I was a 9.5. So when he demonstrated how to use the phone he wisely skipped over all the games.

I think he got the first clue when I told him I wanted a phone that called out but didn't need to receive.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

Mark, Ditto for me.
I set it up my trac phone account with the minimal monthly fee that keeps it active and includes x minutes credit at about $7 mo. Mostly only use it for emergencies on the road and have accumulated about 2500 minutes. Land line phone is caller ID screened with voice mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

I'm always amazed at how many people still don't have an answering machine of some kind on their land lines. The telemarketers and scammers never get to talk to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:57 pm:

When I "upgraded" to my present cell phone (one of the last flip-phones) a couple years ago, I only had it a week or two when I stopped in at the Verizon store at the mall, where one of the dozen or so "kids" that worked there waited on me. I told him I wanted the message on my phone that says "leave a message at the tone" to be taken off my phone. He told me that was not possible and that he'd never heard of anyone asking that to be done before. He asked his manager about it and was told by the mgr that it "WAS" possible to remove the voice mail feature and then granted my request, even tho' he thought it was weird. I explained to him that because I NEVER check voice mail I did not want to be thought of by those that left a voice mail in a negative way or as being "rude", and that the only callers I felt were important were my four sons & daughter-in-laws, and that if they could not reach me, they always call my wife, which is just fine with me! Actually, I think the only thing I'd like better than that would be to leave the phone turned off all the time unless I wanted to make a call, but my good wife 'INSISTS" that I leave my phone turned on in case she needs to call me. How's that for about 9.9 on the 1 to 10 ol' geezer scale?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration