1915 Roll Up Rear Curtain?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1915 Roll Up Rear Curtain?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Driscoll on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

In his book, Bruce shows a 1915 runabout with a roll up rear curtain. He does not state that it is incorrect. Did some early '15s come with roll up curtains? Also, when did the practice of Xing the top webbing straps end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

1915's had no roll up rear curtain, nor did they have X straps for the top. It is up to the owner if he wants to do those things which is perfectly ok, but not the way Ford did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:30 am:

The roll up curtain was last used in 1913. The 1915 rear curtain did not roll up. It was permanently screwed to the body.

That being said a rear curtain that rolls up is a blessing on tour on a hot day. I highly recommend it on any year Model T, Model A, or other old car. It was 112 degrees last July when I took this picture in Georgetown, TX:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Driscoll on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:03 am:

This top is going on my current project, a Snow Flyer. Getting rid of the heat is not what I want to do, but I do want to know what is correct for the time period.

Anybody have a heater type exhaust manifold for sale?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:19 am:

Randy,

I have an accessory heater that has a shroud that fits around the stock exhaust pipe under the floor. If you are interested please contact me via clicking on my name. I have no reason to believe I will need it here in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

Royce - In your post above, you said that "the roll up rear curtain was last used in 1913". Is this a typo, and shouldn't it be 1914 as the last year for the roll up rear curtain?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:00 pm:

Keith,

Yes indeed the '14 came with a roll up curtain, which probably disappeared at the end of 1914 model year. The 1914 style bodies were being used in Highland Park through February of 1915, and later at the branches.

Here's the best picture I have of a near new '14 with roll up curtain:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration