Diameters of the driveshaft sleeve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Diameters of the driveshaft sleeve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:03 am:

Can someone post the diameters of the driveshaft (DS) at the pinion bearing sleeve. I have two, both have issues.
DS #1, the bearing surface at the yoke is badly worn.
DS #2, good yoke bearing surface, but the hardened sleeve at the pinion just spins on the DS. I do not think this is a factory sleeve. The sleeve has a larger OD than the other DS. The sleeve just slips off the DS, with no interference. The pinion bearing slips on both sleeves just fine.

Can someone post the OD of the DS at the pinion bearing sleeve, and the OD of the sleeve. I would like to determine if all I need is a new sleeve or if the DS is undersized and needs to be replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Jason:

The driveshaft at the pinion end should measure 1.000 O.D. but be sure to check that it is not swelled at the top end of the taper. Also check that the keyway it straight proving that the shaft has not been twisted. A few rare shafts were cut undersize at Ford to .990 and sleeves were .010 undersize to match. This was done to reclaim "mis-machined drive shafts". I have the drawings on that sleeve but have never actually found an original one.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:43 am:

The drive shaft is 1" at both ends. The book says wear up to .005" at the front end is acceptable. At the sleeve end it has to be very close to 1.000" for the sleeve to fit. The sleeve OD is 1.25".

If the sleeve, bearing, or thrust bearing don't measure up, I'd replace all that stuff with the Fun Projects bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:07 am:

you could always make a new undersize sleeve to match the drive shaft. make it out of 8620 or 4130 steel and harden it. make the od a couple of thousands oversize and grind it after hardening. 8620 would need to be hardened by a heat treating shop, 4130 can be hardened by heating it and letting it air cool all pretty simple if you have a lathe and tool post grinder.
Then again it might be easier and less expensive to replace with Fun Projects stuff like Steve says

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

Took a few measurements. The DS measurement at the pinion 0.9563 and the sleeve’s OD measures 1.253. I do not have any tools to measure the sleeve’s ID. I did not measure the length but this sleeve appeared to be about 1/8” shorter. I am thinking a previous owner was trying to make their own new sleeve to possibly fix a bad sleeve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

You could use the shaft with the good pinion end and make a sleeve for the U-joint end and lock it to the driveshaft with Loctite. I don't think the sleeve on the U-joint end would need to be hardened as it is lightly loaded and runs against a brass bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

Ted, I was thinking of doing that, just wonder how much I should mill it down. What my concern with the thought is; in order to insert the new sleeve I have to mill the shoulders for the Yoke section, and wondering if I would weaken that area. More of a thought than anything right now. I was thinking I might talk with a couple of machinists that I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:01 am:

The sleeve length at the pinion end is important since it together with the other parts is what establishes the pinion gear position which needs to end up aligned with the ring gear. If you use a home made sleeve it needs to be the correct length and then hardened so that the pinion bearing can run on it OK and that the length of it when pushed against the thrust bearing parts winds up putting the pinion gear in its correct true position. Before you spend much money on machining all of this stuff - make sure the drive shaft is OK with regard to any bends or keyway damage since sometimes the shafts are bent.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration