Old Photo - A Boring Job

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - A Boring Job
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:42 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

If one of those belts breaks.......

Wow, how many holes are being drilled there? At least 18, 19, ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:25 pm:

This photo really shows how our T's were manufactured. It's a study in the technology of the day.

Can you imagine a modern day OSHA safety inspector in that place? He's explode trying to go in every direction at once!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:22 pm:

His jumper/coverall must be some type of oil cloth because he looks a lot cleaner then his clothes. Or he just started his shift!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:24 pm:

Earning every nickle of that five bucks a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

That would be "nickel."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

That machine appears to be drilling or tapping all 15 head bolt holes in one operation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

Plus the timing cover and magneto mounts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Langner on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 03:46 pm:

I believe that is the Ingersoll milling machine, from my birthplace, Rockford, IL.

Swedish machine tools rule!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Tin Lizzie by Stearn mentions a Foote Burt drill drilling 45 holes at once but the machine i think also is a Foote Burt but tapping 24 holes at once from 3 direction's!I have never seen hardly anything Ingersoll except air related? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

Bud has it right.

This is tapping 24 holes at once from 3 directions, operation 28 in Ford Cylinder Machining Operation.

The photo and information appears on page 82 of the Ford Methods and the Ford Shops by Arnold & Faurote (1915).

The picture here is better than the one in my book.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:04 pm:

The Canadian block must need less holes, drilling 41 at one time!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

What a great photo, Jay! I buy parts from a small sprocket and gear manufacturer that up until just about 10 years ago or so, still used a line shaft like that to operate certain equipment. Very cool.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration