OT - what car would have used a rim spreader larger than a T ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - what car would have used a rim spreader larger than a T ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:04 pm:

i have a spreader for the split rims like the 26-7 fords, but it is for a larger wheel. its been in my way long enough, but hard to market when you dont know what it fits. any ideas ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

Hudson, Olds, Overland and other teens cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:14 pm:

Many cars used split rims in the 1920s with non clincher "balloon" tires. I know Pierce used split rims on 1928 wire wheel equipped Series 81 for example.

The car in this picture is a 1926 - ish Pierce Arrow Series 80. The 81 is very similar, just a year newer and with a slightly modernized body style. I spent a full day replacing all six tires on a Series 81 roadster with split rims. It was a fight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

I once mounted tires on a '22 Nash for a friend. I don't remember the tire size, but my rim spreader was just big enough to do it. They were quite a bit larger that Model T rims.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

thanks, this give some clues to get it to the correct home. the thing is totally closed when put on a 21" t wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

Don't forget TT truck rear tires as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:00 pm:

My Chalmers Detroit has 36X4 split rims which makes the rim 28". I searched for years to find a rim spreader big enough before I found one at a garage sale where no one had any idea what it was.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration