Upholstery question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Upholstery question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

S'ster seats
Okay, My Speedster has upholstery from probably sometime in the 1920s or so, and it's not leather, I don't think, (however, I'm not real familiar with real leather either).
It's getting torn-up and showing a lot of wear.
Should I just keep it 'original' in spite of how it looks, or should I have it re-done? It has original paint and everything else.
I do a lot of car shows, and I call it a 'Jalopy' but I want it to look good too.
Wadda ya think?
Thanks,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Well, there's nothing original about a speedster so I don't see any harm in redoing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

If it's vinyl, it's not from the 1920s. Vinyl is a product of the 1940s.

Look at me, using my college education. haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:48 pm:

Bob it's all about how YOU like it!
A speedster was always a gow-job or another term for hot rod. If it's fun to drive, gives you some (thumbs up) makes your dailey grind better (stress reliever) and helps you meet people then leave it alone. On the other hand you feel like darn this thing is getting ratty or ugly then by all means get er done. Err redone!
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:03 am:

Burgundy velour ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:15 am:

Hot pink shag material. (No one would steal the car)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 08:27 am:

Stuff a little horse hair in the holes to hide the foam rubber and it will look great. That's what I do on my 40 year old speedster.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 09:10 am:

I vote for pink sheep skin
-shag would not be comfortable against bare skin

Now that I think about it -
A company called Coed Sportswear is in my town -

Best known for their Coed Naked line of T shirts

I wonder if they are willing to produce T shirts with "Coed Naked Model Ts" on it :-)

Something like this --

Bob - I bet you never thought that you would get this type of help :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 09:17 am:

Ford changed from real leather to "artificial leather" sometime in the 1915 model year. On an open car, the artificial leather stands up to rain and sun much better. It looks and feels a lot like our modern naugahyde or leatherette materials.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:04 pm:

Burgundy velour, hot pink shag, pink sheepskin, and 'stuff a little horsehair in it?' Sheesh!
And to Joe on Mo., I drive it a lot, love to drive it, and do a lot of car shows (with the trophies to prove it!), and I think I'd be happier without all the tears and scratches in the upholstery, which must be "Artificial Leather" as Thomas M suggests.
But other than shag or naked T-shirt material, what should I redo it with?
Thanks guys -- I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

FWIW I'll use my college edumacation: poly-vinyl chloride was created in a German laboratory in 1872, patented in 1913, and was plasticized in 1926 by Waldo Semon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

How about a new version of what's in it? I expect Orange county probably has several auto upholstery shops that could do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:19 am:

Aw go ahead and have it reupholstered in real leather!
Just remember:
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:55 am:

Ford started changing from all real leather in 14. The front roll of the seat backs was leather and the rest was...something artificial. I don't know if it was "vinyl" or something else. My 14 Touring has the original upholstery on it's seat backs. The 99 year old "vinyl" looks almost new and the leather is showing its age.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration