ATTENTION PARTS DEALERS: Have you seen this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: ATTENTION PARTS DEALERS: Have you seen this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

I know some of you watch the forum even if you don't post much, so I thought I'd share what I found inside my rear axle housings.

Left

Right

I don't know how long ago these were installed, but the spiral-grooved thrust washers I found in there tell me it's been awhile. I don't know if the problem of separating seals has been solved. Maybe you guys were aware of this years ago and the product has been fixed since these were installed.

I assumed that the neoprene seals made the Giant Felt Things unnecessary. But this was in the right housing, which wasn't leaking any oil. The left side didn't have one of these, and was. So maybe it's a good idea to use both neoprene and felt. I don't suppose it would hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

That felt looks just like a fur ball my cat hacked up last week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

The old felt washers worked quite well. The last ones I bought were not as good and disintegrated before I could get them into the housing.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:23 am:

The neoprene seal looks like the older style same kind that I yanked out of my leaker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:21 am:

Bump. Any parts dealers see this? Any dealer comments on the current seals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:03 am:

Steve

Have run into those non-stick inner seals too, was several years ago. If I recall the parts came from Snyder's were the stick on tape version. If the correct adhesives are used, metal to rubber usually holds well.....but these old ones do not hold well. One little pull and the rubber comes off and will never stick again.

No dealer name or mfg on package, but believe these came from Snyder's

As for the correct ones, the pair on the right, with shiny plated washer are secured well, these came from Chaffins.

Now don't know how to tell them apart other than fine inspection, the Chaffins on the right have distinctive narrow bead on the rubber nose, and have shiny metal washer.

Best quality on the right, from Chaffins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 11:37 am:

A old time T friend taught me to use these furnace oil felt filters. He he had a friend who saved used ones for him so his were free. But I have got them on the net for a couple bucks a set. The work much better than what the vendors are selling in my estimation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 06:17 pm:

Don't know for sure but this seal may be from Mac's. They copied my seal some time back but I have not seen one.Have had few problems with our seals. Please let us know if you do have a problem. We make every effort to make quality parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

Jay that poor cat must've just about chocked to death hacking it up!! LOL

Hope you sang "Soft Kitty" to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

Steve, I had two of those seals fail. After soaking my right rear finder twice with oil I shoved in a couple felts. Never has leaked again.

Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration