1925 Model TT Out in the Muck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1925 Model TT Out in the Muck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

After coming through the deep-freeze, and thanks to this forum, I was able to crank start my *new* model TT (by jacking up a rear wheel)and take it for a drive on the property here in northern IL. I'm a younger (34) guy and live on my great grandfather's farmstead, so I'm blessed with my own private roads.

This is my first Model T. Being a teen in the 90's, all my friends were obsessed with muscle cars, and I always knew I was weird for having no interest in those, but wanting one of these! Over the holidays, I found one for the right price and said "now or never"! I got to drive it for the first time this weekend after reading through tons of forum posts on how to drive it, what to be careful of, etc. It was about 36 degrees and started no problem when I followed the procedures you all outlined in previous threads, so thanks for the help! My roads were wet with mud, ice, snow, and water but the T went along like nothing. I had so much fun! Now its back sleeping in the barn. TT1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

Another picture TT2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

last photoTT3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 03:51 pm:

Way to go, Ryan!!! You are now fully infected and will remain so for the rest of your life. At age 34 that gives you lots of time to enjoy this TT and the T's that will undoubtedly join it.

Have fun!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 04:05 pm:

Was that truck in Fort Wayne, Indiana a few years ago? It sure looks familiar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

Good for you! What can you tell us about that pulley on the side of the shed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Ryan: Welcome to the T owners world. There is no cure. The reliving of an earlier time is part of the fun. You just did it the old way. The Ts are made to drive and get dirty if they have to. Have fun with the TT but they do tend to multiply... For all the nay-sayers about no younger ones to take over for us when we are gone. Ryan is the 4th younger new poster with a car or truck I have counted in the last few months .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 05:14 pm:

Nice truck and congrats. Awesome that you have private roads to learn driving it in perfect safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

Wow, sounds so great. Ryan, congratulations and glad you had your first drive. Welcome and now you know these are more fun than the newer high power cars. Nothing wrong with you. You will see that many people of all ages will love seeing your TT drive around town. Is there a Subway shop in Sandwich?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

Steve, that pulley is on the back of what everyone in my family has always called the "engine house" or the "pump house". The farm was built from 1915-17 and had electric lights, powered by Edison batteries in the basement (they are still there). They would hook up a hit & miss engine to the belt-pulley and it would either run the pump to push water from the well (which is in the building) to the house or to the water tower (for the horse/cattle watering tank) or the line-shaft could run the generator (its still there) to charge the batteries in the basement. It also could be hooked up to a washing machine. My dad and I restored that building just before he passed last year and we were both really proud of it. We jacked the building up on bottle jacks, cut off the rotten wood, and replaced it with a real foundation. I'm quite attached to that little building as it was a lot of hours spent with my dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 06:33 pm:

Erich, one of the local sandwich shops has already claimed to have "The best sandwich in Sandwich". I believe it was either named after a city in England or meat between two slices of bread.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

Ryan, that pump house looks fantastic. Glad you guys saved it. No doubt the TT feels very much at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

What a great post. Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

From one TT owner to another: Congratulations and welcome to the affliction...er...hobby.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

Hey Ryan;

Great looking TT. I see it has a WI plate. Where in WI did you find it? I am just south of Madison in Stoughton. Do you like visitors? If so, I see a road trip in my future to come and check out the TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

Is the hit and miss still there? Getting all that back in running order would be really neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:23 am:

This trucks original owner was from Coon Valley WI. I bought it from a guy in central Il who told me he had bought it a year ago from the original owners grandson, who had just inherited it. The nice gentleman I bought it from said the two laps around his block was the most he had ever driven the truck as he was 77 and crank starting wasn't so easy anymore. It made me happy to be the third owner and to know the truck will get lots of run time as I intend to put it to work hauling firewood from the woods and toting me around the place. I'm lucky to have its original title too. Just cool all around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:28 am:

Henry I've got the hit and misses. I'm lucky to have a lot of nice old stuff still around. As soon as I knew I needed some model T jacks I started looking around and found three of them, although one says Cadillac which is pretty cool. My great grandpa worked on cars in the 20s and 30s to supplement his income from the farm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 01:19 am:

Very cool Ryan, welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

If I recall correctly, part legend, part fable, part fact. Sandwich is a small region in England. A couple centuries ago, there was a royal, the Earl of Sandwich that enjoyed playing various games with his friends a lot more than he did lording about the castle. Rather than eat at those lavish banquets waited on by a bevy of staff, he would have a servant throw some meat and garnish between a couple slices of bread and keep playing.
Hence, a sandwich.

Great TT! Welcome to the affliction! Nice heritage and ranch also.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

That's the story I got from my 7th grade History teacher. I have no idea if it's true.

Ryan, that is one cool truck. I really enjoy my TT. They certainly get a lot of attention at shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

Ryan--welcome to the club and as others say, the affliction. Lord knows it afflicted me big time! I wish I got started at age 34! Good for you. I also have a '25 TT, but it's a firetruck/chemical wagon. Love the thing, still doing mostly cosmetic work, will get the engine running smoother I hope this spring.
It was nice to hear of your time spent with your dad on that shed, which really looks great. I lost my dad 5 years ago already and as you know it would be nice to have 'em around on the cars. But life goes on.
Good luck with that TT, and all the other T's you'll end up acquiring! Model T's are like Lays Potato Chips, you just can't have one.
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

Tim, thanks for welcoming me to the community! I just peeked at your fire truck. That's a beauty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

You need to be careful. With a farmstead like that, you might end up with a Fordson to boot. No that would look cool on the back of the TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Hay Ryan, I like the TT! I have a '25 TT tin cab. Lots of fun to putt around in. You'll have a blast. Really nice old truck. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

Ryan, I started driving a TT in my teens around 1958. My dad and his brothers bought it new to run a cotton gin. It replaced the horses and wagon. (1924 TT with no cab)

My two sons did a lot of their early driving on our farm in that TT truck. My oldest son had to do one better and put together this TT with an aftermarket trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

Ryan,

Welcome to the forum and Model Ts! Glad you are getting the hang of driving it. You mentioned you had read several of the postings. If you missed the ones that talked about some of the safety items you should be aware of please take a look at the threads at:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/154102.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/69429.html

Check a new (to you) car/truck out for any loose nuts or missing cotter pins or safety wire:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/281045.html?1334018895

Glad you got it going and went for a drive. And like others I also think your power house is great!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Here is a link to more old and new TT photos...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/sets/72157637431475573/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

Wow what awesome pictures! I love the truck with the trailer! Hap, thanks for sharing those threads! I actually had already found them and read through before I started driving my TT. I love that picture of the TT with the Fordson on the back. There used to be a Fordson just like that here on my place. I found its sales manual showing all the attachments it would run. I couldn't find a Fordson but another tractor on the farm was a 10-20 by McCormick Deerimg out of Chicago. Here is a picture of my 10-20. It is small but I don't think it will fit on the back of the TT. The Fordson is barely fitting in that picture and I believe it was slightly smaller than a 10-20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:29 pm:

Ryan I know what you mean about the "Hot Rods" but on the good side whenever I go to an auto show or just out to the beach it is fun to watch the people stop looking at the flashy cars with billit chrome everywhere to come over and take pictures of the "T" I always try to find a young kid or two in the crowd and put them in the seat for their parents to get a good picture. Enjoy everything about your "NEW" "TT"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

Since I just bought my T in June of 2013, I only took it to one local show last year within a few miles of my house. I had several people come up to me during the show and comment that they had never seen an original Model T, all the ones they had seen before mine had been turned into rods. Then they thanked me for keeping mine so original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

Hi Ryan,

Hey maybe we are related ! I have a 1927 Model T Roadster that I bought last year.

Randy Glowacki, Parsippany NJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

Hey Randy! I love to find other Glowacki's! We are few and far between!

Mark, I definitely hear you. I've noticed people will spend a long time looking at the unchanged cars.

We pulled into a farm and fleet parking lot to tighten the straps on the way home with this, and even in the pitch dark, after 1 minute in the parking lot there were 3 modern vehicles that had driven over for a look. I told my brother we had to get out of there!

Everything I have purchased so far I plan on keeping original. The 10-20 tractor in the pictures above is a good example. It will never get restored or painted. When I purchased it, the sheet metal got a good scrubbing and then sealed with linseed oil (which does dry on metal). The thing is old...let it show its age.

The same goes with wood. One thing I will do to the truck is strip the black and silver spray paint off its stakes to show the original wood. Even those sideboards (where the farm name probably was) are not plywood, but tongue and groove boards...They will look great once springtime comes!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration