Installing TT rear wheel spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Installing TT rear wheel spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By neil obrien on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

I have seen spokes installed on car wheels but I am having trouble using that method with TT rear wheels. I would appreciate any hints or methods that have worked for you .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 01:11 am:

Good luck Neil, I did mine that way. I had a very hard time of it. Much harder than my cars wheels which I also did. I used small string to keep the spokes somewhat correctly lined up. That helped allot, then I had to git a big breaker bar. I could not pull hard enough with a regular wrench. I still was hard pressed!! and I stripped my all thread twice, but it held the spokes in position good enough that I was able to move the all thread to a section where the threads were still ok. Those spokes are tight!! If I was to try in again, I would have a friend helper. It was really to hard for me to try it again alone. Hopefully some one here well know a trick to it. Are you using new spokes? I heard their making them now. They were not when I did mine, so I cleaned mine up the best I could, they look hammered old, but they are still very strong. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 07:25 am:

I've done a couple of them and they are a bear. Where do you live? I had access to a press table which allowed us to do it by elevating the felloe and then setting the spoke in place followed by evenly pushing the felloe down. We weren't having much luck the other way. I rate it about a 3 1/2 beer job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 07:34 am:

Makes you wonder if the spokes might be a tad long? 'Course, they are on a one ton truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:14 am:

If I had to get new TT spokes and couldn't find them ready-made, I'd send some old ones to Stutzman and have him make some for me. But as many wheels as he does, he probably already has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By neil obrien on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 11:11 am:

The spokes are new, made by stutzman. I should have let him install but he is in Ohio & I'm inNew Mexico. 4 wheels to do for 2 firetrucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 11:17 am:

I have done 30 x 3-1/2, but never the 32 x 4-1/2 on the rear of my TT. It's good to know I can get the spokes, but after hearing you guys, I hope I never have to do that job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

hi neilwhere did you get the new spokes from.i have to redo my 26 tt wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

Here you go, Kenny:

Stutzman Wheel
33656 County Rd 12
Baltic, OH 43804
(330) 897-1391

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

I have new spokes for my TT,and there is a corner they forgot to trim off.Dont know where my photos are but i just about have given up instaling them.
I tried several times and had no luck.I am to the point if I need them fixed for sure,I will have to ask for help.
It is my opionion the spokes are to long but I dont know for sure.Been a while since I messed with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:45 am:

Kenny,
So, you still think you need new spokes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:48 am:

Yes the wood is dry rot they are not soild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

stutzman wheel doesnt answer phone and dosent call back when leave message.its been a month i benn trying.found some othercompany wants $240 for tt rear wheel,he doesnt sell the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:27 pm:

Nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

Niel,

Instead of the 5/8 tread bar with nuts in the middle of the wheel press you have to use a 20 ton hydraulic press and it will work the same way.

Good luck

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

Stutzmans ( stootsmans) don't need the work, and they aren't going to chase it. Amish are notorious for not returning messages. If you need wheels rebuilt, any kind, even really oddball ones such as fancy spokes, or hard rubber tires, just send them to Noah and family. You'll get them back and you'll love the work and the bill. Work on other stuff until they get back to you. I'm a do-it-yerselfer, but in my opinion, you cannot come close to doing them yourself for the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

who is that where do i find them.thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 05:12 pm:

Noah Stutzman address above

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration