Sun Visor for 1925 Fordor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Sun Visor for 1925 Fordor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne thompson on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

I HAVE JUST FOUND A FRAME FOR A SUNVISOR FOR A 1925 FOURDOOR. WHAT KIND OF MATERIAL DO YOU COVER IT WITH? ARE THERE ANY TRIM PIECES AROUND THE FRAME? HOW IS THE COVERING ATTACHED TO THE FRAME? ANY HELP WOULD BE HELPFUL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Wayne, the same as the top material. The kits from the vendors work well, however they really need to be stitched between the ribs to look correct. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

When I got my TT in the mid 70's, it had an aftermarket sun visor that matched the top. The visor was made of a Morton Salt sign, and the top was an Orange Crush sign .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:20 pm:

One of our members made his visor from tinted plexiglass so he could see street signal lights better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:35 pm:

Wayne,

Here is a picture of the visor on our 1924 Fordor Sedan.
The following is how I accomplished the task.

I restored the car 24 years ago, so I am going on my memories of the process I went through to achieve the end result shown in the picture above. The cover material was cut to about the right size leaving a little extra at the ends I then used a spray adhesive in an aerosol can and sprayed the cover material. I had to be very careful as I folded it around the frame so as to make sure it was in the correct position. When I use contact cement of any kind I use strips of flat wood ( like the model T fuel dip sticks ) and space them so as to keep the surfaces apart. I then proceeded to work the two surfaces together and removed the wood strips one piece at a time as I bought the material together. Once I was happy with how it was neatly placed over the frame I hand stitched the three sections around the ribs. Finally I trimmed enough off the ends allowing a small amount to turn under and stitch.

Regards, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:52 am:

I made this up for someone else a while back, but you can see how it was made...and what you may need to adjust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne thompson on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:01 am:

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFORMATION

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

Original, untouched visor on my 1926 Fordor: Notice the material is smoother than the grained material we get these days. Jim Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration