For the person looking for flaired running board shields

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: For the person looking for flaired running board shields
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

No connection but you could have a center door to go with them;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-center-door-Ford-Model-T-hot-rod-rat-rod-or-part-/1 41159526147?pt=Salvage_Parts_Cars&hash=item20ddc36f03&vxp=mtr
Scowl down to the 2ed row of photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

Wrong shields, these are later ones 1919 or so? (I'd have to look up the change date)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 07:21 am:

Mark,

Thank you for posting the link.

David,

Looking closer at the photo, I believe you will see the kick/crease/ whatever folks want to call it near the end.

The splash shields are for a black radiator car and not a 1915-1916. But, from the photo they look like they promising. Note the shiny black paint on the splash shields looks very different from the rusty body parts. I suspect they may be from different cars. Especially since the dash board appears to have had a cut out for an ignition switch and amp meter which would indicate a 1919 or later Centerdoor body. Of course that instrument board may have been modified and/or replaced or not part of the original body (although the rust and wood looks very similar to the body). For comparison photos see Rootlieb 1915-16 (without the crease but shows the style of the front) and the difference in the 1917-1925 touring/roadster at: http://www.rootlieb.com/html_files/mt_splsh/mt_splsh.html .

At the posting
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/140336.html?1273603724 Royce said the kick/crease/ whatever at the rear was used 1912-1918. [The front of the splash shield changed during that time so you need the correct front also.]

I have a fairly original May 1918 touring that does not have the kick/crease on the passenger side (I forgot to look on the driver's side!). I'm hoping we can better establish the date range the kick/crease or whatever was phased out and how much overlap as the straight without a kick/crease running board splash shields were phased in.

Any information would be welcomed. And thanks to everyone for supporting our forum.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:11 am:

Hap, the shields in your photos, if from a Canadian car, would be from a low radiator car, 1917-1922.
With the introduction of the high radiator came the wider hood. This meant that the hole for the rearmost spring loaded hood hook was punched further out from the edge. Most of the shields I have seen on later cars also had the hole for the narrow hood on the low radiator cars, so they would fit all cars up to the improved cars of 26-7.

Just for interest.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

Allan,

Yes, good point about the later Ts having the wider hood. I said black radiator not knowing for sure when they ended the kick/kink etc. I suspect sometime during the 1917 to 1918 model year range. But we are hoping to find good examples/information to define when it occurred more accurately.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Model-T-splash-aprons-gaurds-shields-1911-1912-/ 181301273003?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3665e1ab&vxp=mtr

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration