Timing gear covers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Timing gear covers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 05:31 pm:

How many types of Model T timing gear covers are there after 1920. Just starter and non starter or are 26-27 different??

How about generator mounts are they all the same??
Thanks TOM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

The 27 timing cover no longer had the fan bolt on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

26 too, I believe. The fan was mounted on the water outlet and adjusted by an eccentric, so the timing cover no longer needed a fan adjusting bolt.

1919-1925 Tab & fan adjusting bolt above oil filler.

126-1927 No tab & bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 12:54 am:

There were four that I know of.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:16 am:

Okay,...I'll be the one to ask,......what does your photo of what looks like a valve spring compressor (???) have to do with Model T timing gear covers Dave?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 10:46 am:

That tool is a "Stevens" Model T exhaust manifold holder - holds the manifold so one can install the intake without having two people/four hands !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

Hmmmmm,......shows how much (or little) I know! Thanks Steve......hey,.....as long as you're here,.....I'd still like to have that guy's phone # for possible future reference if you could check with your "boss" on that,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 01:20 am:

There were at least 6 unless the early water pump car had a different one and then there were 6. The factory number of 690 came later and the D suffix would indicate then 4 of those. 1910 used a coil spring fan tensioner, 1911 used a vertical bolt tensioner, early 1912 oiler timer used a cover with no oil filler hole, 1912 and later used the cover with no generator mounting, 1919 then had a generator mounting...not sure what happens in the middle... and then the last one had no adjuster for the fan at all since it used the eccentric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 01:22 am:

I meant to say in total - not just after 1920 and I also mean there would be 7 at least of the early water pump car used a different one than 1910. Gotta pruf red beta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Don't forget the change in them they made in '15. With these you can use a modern seal. In '17 they increased the length of the oil filler spout so you could pour oil in easier.
I'd love to have one of those manifold holders too, but don't know what that has to do with a timing gear cover!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Dave,

Nice Stevens tool. Wish I had one. I use a furniture clamp whenever I want to remove only the intake manifold.

Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration