OT - Old Photos - The Fageol Safety Coach A Fascinating Breakthrough in Bus Design

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Old Photos - The Fageol Safety Coach A Fascinating Breakthrough in Bus Design
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:48 am:

It was built in 1922 during the time of the Model "T" and it may look awkward and a little odd to modern eyes, but the Fageol Safety Coach was a major
milestone in the evolution of intercity bus design. It was just one of a long line of innovative and unconventional ideas of the four Fageol brothers during
their long association. Before the Safety Coach, buses had been built on conventional truck frames. Their high center of gravity made them extremely
prone to rollovers and high floors provided a steep climb for boarding passengers. Learn more at: http://theoldmotor.com/?p=111779

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:22 am:

The bus was going to Hibbing and Duluth.
At the edge of Hibbing, MN. is the worlds largest open pit iron mine.
There was great demand for transportation to take workers from Hibbing to large cities like Duluth and Fargo, St. Paul, Minneapolis, etc.
The Grey Hound Bus co. started there by two workers who lengthened sedans and transported workers to surrounding towns on their days off..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:29 am:

What do you make of those five wires run the length of the coach? They almost seem like an antenna, but I can't make out any kind of insulators. They also look a lot like clothes-drying lines, but atop a bus??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

In the early 30's I went with my folks to take my grandmother to the bus station and the bus had a row of doors just like that one. Now isle and lots of rows of seats. The luggage went on a roof rack. It was painted a dull yellowish tan. It left San Pedro at about six in the evening and went to Trona out in the desert. They went at night to avoid the heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

David and Aaron:

The lettering on the side of the bus says "Mesaba Transporation Company" which is part of Greyhound Bus history.

It's rather complicated - you can read about it here.

http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistoryMagazine/articles/49/v49i08p310-321.pdf

Also note "Blue Goose" on the driver's door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 12:55 pm:

whoops "Transportation"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration