Air filter - starting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Air filter - starting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:00 am:

Foe the last several months I've noticed my 15 touring can be difficult to start.

Engine in excellent shape and coils recently checked. Carb is L2. Once started car runs like a dream.

And then I remembered all this started about the time I installed an air filter (typical - from Lang's)

Question is - has anyone else noticed a change in handcranking after installing this filter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:04 am:

Maybe it needs a different procedure to catch on now like less choke or a different initial setting of the needle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:07 am:

Bud, I have run one of those without problems.

Here's a cyclonic one I run on our 27 speedster.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/192088.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:24 am:

I have a foam filter on my '26 Roadster. Started it the other day at 21*, no problem. Also no change in starting procedure. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:25 am:

Question 1: how does it start without the filter on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:22 pm:

I run a filter on mine and have not been able to tell any difference, except I do not worry so much about damage to my engine from dust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

I use one of Lang's foam air-filters. It breathes freely and near as I can tell, hasn't caused any difference in starting or acceleration (such as is possessed of a Model T). At the beginning of each driving season, I give it a spritz of oil and forget about it for another year. It's good product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

OK, problem must lie elsewhere and the addition of the air filter - just a coincidence.

Thanks for the reports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

Filter restricts air flow at running speeds. You lean to compensate. Then it's too lean for starting at cranking speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

I agree with what Ralph said. If the filter has any serious restriction at all, it will run rich. Some Model A suppliers, I believe Snyder's is one, actually sell a Model
A carb that is tuned to run with a filter.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration