I need help installing valve springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: I need help installing valve springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

I have two different valve spring compressors. One is the short one for side valves and the other one is the long one for overhead valves. The short one works in a manner that does not have the ability to compress the spring so it can be installed.

I do not have strong enough fingers to compress the spring in order to get it to fit over the boss. What is the secret for putting the spring over the boss ? I am using 60 pound springs and my fingers are not strong enough to push the spring into position and as I said, the compressor just moves the wing nut along the threaded shaft but does not compress the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:55 pm:

Frank, I think I have a compressor that will work for you. I'll call you tonight when I get home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:57 pm:

Sounds like a good time to use one of the Ford style crow-bar type compressor the hangs from the manifold clamp bolt. Then pry it up onto the boss? Those can be tough to start. Are they extra strong or stock springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

They are 60 pound springs with a trick Model A reground camshaft with lots of lift and dwell. It's a flathead with a T crank and put 48.6 horsepower to the rear wheels.

Jeff Larry Blair is getting a K R Wilson lifter to me today, thanks Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Frank, your hands must be only rated up to 55 pounds? Those suckers must be tuff. What is a stock spring rated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:10 pm:

Frank, Have you used a Model A camshaft before? It will change your firing order to 1,3,4,2. Let me know how it works. I have a lifter which will work, but live quite a way from you.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

Frank, give me a call if you need some help and I'll come by and give you a hand. I'm sort of open tomorrow so far?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

Frank,if you ream valve guides,you won't need a 60 lb spring to close them.(G)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

I believe stock springs are in the 24 lb. range.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Unless I am missing something the firing order for a Model A is the same as T, 1243.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

The parts stores sell a plier-like tool made for removing radiator hoses. Cheap, easy, and quick to use for compressing T valve springs.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration