Spindle Arm Install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Spindle Arm Install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:44 pm:

What is the best way to install the spindle arms into the spindles? What fixture do I need to press these in. I have tried a few ideas and they failed. Also what is the best method used to align the spindle arm so they go in correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:27 pm:

Leave them loose till you hook up the tie rod then tighten everything,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 05:04 pm:

Adam - Looked at your profile as I often do, because it's fun to look at other folk's Model T's. Couldn't help but notice your "T" being supported by cinder blocks. I'll spare you my usual "lecture" about a friend of mine that was killed by being crushed when cinder blocks supporting the car he was under crumbled without warning. Believe me, this is a VERY dangerous practice as cinder blocks have very little strength for any use other that what they were designed for. They might seem to be strong because they are heavy, but they are NOT! A proper set of jack stands are very inexpensive and an excellent investment for safety. The reason I posted this on the forum rather than send you a "PM" is because I'm sure that others look at your profile picture too, and I'd hate to think that your picture might encourage someone else that might happen to have some cinder blocks laying around that they think might make good jack stands. I should admit that I feel very strongly about this but it's only because I know what can happen,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 06:44 pm:

Harold, Thanks for the Warning and I will get that corrected. That being said, what you can't see in the pictures is a floor jack that is positioned near the oil drain. The floor jack has allot of the weight and I check it at least twice a week for bleed down.

The wheels and axle should be going on soon if I can get the spindle arms in.

Robert, the spindle arms are tight and need to be press fit or pounded into the spindles. It seems like you need to get them straight before you put them in. I have everything mounted on the axle and have been using the Tie Rod to make sure they are straight.

Getting them pressed in is the problem. What have people been using to get these pressed in correctly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

They should not require pressing in, Adam. Check closely for burrs on both pieces as they should go in rather easily with but a smidge of persuasion with a brass hammer. I use a little "Never-Seize" compound on that type of application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

Adam, Steve is correct. They should not be tight. If you have to use any force, something needs attention. Bob too is correct. Leave the arms loose and hook up the steering tie rod. This will get the tie rod bolts in alignment with the bushes in the arms. Then do up the spindle arm nuts. Don't forget the split pins.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

Thanks guys! I did some light sanding on the noticeable burs and they went right in with just a few taps. I was able to line up the spindle arms as suggested, using the tie rod and things look good.

Thanks for all the help. I should be able to install the whole thing here soon. I am getting started on the steering column and should have that done in a few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

Be sure you have the spindles on the correct sides. The right side spindle should have a left hand thread and the left side spindle a right hand thread. If assembled backwards, the outer bearing will self-tighten and lock up the front wheels while driving. Not pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

Why can I not see the picture of Adam C's car?
drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

I took it down and I am looking for a good replacement picture.

I didn't want to promote the practice of using the cinder blocks. I know it was a shaky idea but some times you just use what you have at the time. I have replaced the cinder block with a large wood block like the other side has. I still have the floor jack backup as well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration