Removing a pinion gear from a drive shaft, I tried three different three-jaw pullers. All of them proved to be feckless junk. So next was an internet search for help. I found a forum discussion from a few years ago that included several ideas. As usual, Stan came up with a method that's simple and effective. There's a man with lots of good ideas.
So that's what that tool is for. There is Gold on this forum. the trick is finding it.
As always, thanks Steve.
Brilliant. Does it hurt the bearings any?
The link Steve mentioned
Steve, I see that Youtube video was posted under "aq farn". You also have quite a few videos under "aqfarn". Are they two separate accounts, or is one just a typo?
Oh, boy. Awhile back Google, which I gather is the power behind YouTube, started harassing me to use a first name and a last name. They wouldn't give up, blocking everything I tried to do with name-changing pop-ups. In trying to navigate the mess, now I've wound up with three accounts under different names all tied to a gmail address I never use. I'd trash all of them and start over, but I'm afraid I'd wind up with a dozen channels under different names and half a dozen email addresses I never use.
Thanks. What is the third one besides "aqfarn" and "aq farn"?
BTW, I've watched nearly all of your videos and enjoyed them all, thankyou for all the hard work it took to create them.
Yes, Steve - Google really stepped in it with all that nonsense. I ran into the same issues and I'm as computer savvy as just about anyone out there and I found it to be a big pain in the exaust pipe.
STAN - if you read this, curious if you do other carbs besides old timey stuff?
Just came in from the shop for more coffee and ran into this thread.
It works for me.
Questions from the old thread:
It doesn't seem to hurt the bearing but I almost always use Fun Projects pinion set up I really don't care if it does or not.
Harold, the other .01 % -- when my method doesn't work -- I throw it up on my chop saw, chop the pinion off the bearing, drive shaft and sleeve, throw all the pieces on the iron pile and install all new parts.
Question from Danial:
I work on pre-1930 brass carbs only. Today I rebuilt an early Rayfield that is going on a 1905 Fiat. This past week I have been working on a set of four Kingston 4 Ball, all from South Africa but from 3 different owners. They were all a mess - dented & bent, missing a lot of parts, etc. One was so corroded I had to drill out one cap and then chisel out the threaded part of the cap to get it out. Looked like it had laid in the dirt for 50 years or more. I should have taken more photos of them when I started on them. I actually do have more photos but the carbs have the customer's names written on them so I don't want to post the photos.
As there are NO 4 ball parts available, that means making throttle shafts, choke shafts, winding springs for the choke, fabricating a needle and seat system, making floats, straightening bowls, pulling and pushing out dents in the bowls and bodies, making new adjustment rods, machining new knurled adjustment knobs, refurbishing or making the ball caps, re-machining every mating surface, etc. I'm gaining on them, I'm down to drains, leak tests and test runs.
I posted this tip and video on the HCCA Forum, which I hope is OK. We have a "Restoration Tips" forum there. Any more ideas that apply to brass-era cars are welcome!
Thanks for the note Stan. My loss! Looks like you do great work there. Love the pics.