Cotter Pin Straps for Top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Cotter Pin Straps for Top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

There was some discussion a few weeks ago about the cotter pin straps used up to 1917. I had to replace the ones on my '13 roadster this week, and I believe them to be original to the car, as the leather was quite rotten, and one side had already broken in two. As I mentioned in the previous post, I believe the attaching screw and washer to be separate, and they are. They are both steel, but this doesn't mean they were not brass plated originally. I could find no evidence of plating on either screw, which is a #7 X 5/8 RH slotted wood screw. A few years back, I had an opportunity to observe an untouched '17 touring, and the cotter pins on it were nickel plated. I don't recall the screws however on that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:39 pm:

Most of the pins I have seen are brass. Some of screws are brass,some steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

The drawings call for the #7 x 5/8 screw to be blued steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:52 pm:

Hello RV:
Wouldn't have a photo of how this looks mounted on #2 bow by chance?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

Not the greatest photo, but I only raised the car cover a bit and shoved the camera underneath. The strap is part number T-6837X, "key strap assembly, long." The hole for the mounting screw is 1/8" diameter, punched or drilled 1/4" from the end. The screw hole placement in the upright socket seems to have varied, but on this one it's 6-3/16" from the center of the pivot pin.

There is also a "key strap assembly, short" that goes on the #1 bow. The screw hole is in the same place, but the overall length of the strap is 2-1/4" shorter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

Much appreciated RV.
REgards,
Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration