Transmission gears?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Transmission gears?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:20 pm:

I pulled the inspection cover on my '26 Roadster transmission and noticed the triple gears can move forward and back about an 1/8th of an inch. No experience here so is this normal? What should I find? Thanks for any information, PK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:09 pm:

There should be some play so the drums can turn different speeds/direction without touching the sides of the triple gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Richard,

What is an acceptable gear lash on the triple gears?

Thanks
Justin
South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

Pat,

As long as the gears do not rub the edge of the reverse drum or the face of the flywheel it's o.k.

Justin,

Gear lash, (or backlash), is a different thing than what Pat asked about. Probably .005 - .010 lash would be nice but I suspect most T's have far more. Not too critical as long as everything runs smoothly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 04:54 am:

Thanks Jerry,

I found that mine were loose on their pins. As I moved them side to side they pushed oil out...

But there was also a lot of gear lash, which I don't know how to measure, but it was a "worrying amount"

Ill be stripping the 27 motor I have to check if I get anything better..

Kind Regards
Justin
South Africa

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration