1907 Model R sells at Barrett Jackson Auction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1907 Model R sells at Barrett Jackson Auction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

Sold this minute for $35,000.00 plus bidder's fees, total around $40,000.

Awesome restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:49 pm:

Link:
Enter Ford Model R to the search engine.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=515&aid=525

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

I have a steering wheel that looks almost like that. My has been refinished natural,but the brass spider looks the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

I think that was the oldest car in the sale by far. Seems like a decent buy. Most of the "early" cars seem to be hot rods.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 08:41 am:

Nice car but I don't care for the white undercarriage or the white spokes. It looks odd, like Pat Boone in the 50's singing "Good Golly Miss Molly" with his trademark white bucks (shoes). LOL! It would look much more original if the spokes and undercarriage were painted black as they would have most likely been back in the day. If they had been painted whit, back then, one trip down the dirty muddy roads of that time and it would have been black anyway. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:03 am:

That's not good news for those owning NRS cars. That car is very nicely restored. The cost of the car and restoration was surely greater than that.
Just check out the price of a new NRS radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:12 am:

I wouldn't say that is bad news for NRS owners. BJ is not the place to sell any original Brass car in my opinion. Take that same car and sell it at RM's auction at say Hershey and you would probably get between 50 to 60K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:15 am:

Richard,

It's hard to judge a car by photos. The upholstery looks a little suspect (tucks and folds not really there). Does anyone know if it's running. Not to pick on it, because it's a great looking car, and I'm sure won't take much, if anyting to have it on the road (and that's where cars belong, in my opinion :-)).

It seems to be listing to the left, maybe a left rear spring problem? It would be a great car to own, although I can't imagine trying to keep the undercarriage clean (these cars have drip loss systems, and proceed to fling oil and grease everywhere, especially under and behind the car).

A couple of blown up pics. First, the upholstery, while difficult to see, may need a little attention (or not).

You can see the holes for step plates. They look to be, and should be, riveted. Ford punched/drilled the frames for either step plates or running board brackets, and placed rivets in the holes not used when the Model R came into production. There was some discussion about that on a thread a few weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:25 am:

Jim,

The cream undercarriage is correct. Although this looks a bit light in the photos. Ed Henline in Maryland has a Model R and it is a beautiful AACA National winner with the cream undercarriage and the liner for the top. This car looks to be a pretty good restoration from the photos.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:27 am:

So Sad looks like another one doomed to the life of a trailer Queen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:31 am:

Rob, the car did drive on stage. I was up to see it run it started with just a pull on the crank. Died once and started again with one pull.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:37 am:

Larry,

I believe most early model Fords cream (or white?) undercarriage in some cases (I've seen restored Model A cars with cream running gear). However, I think there were several color combinations available (one Model C reference in the board of directors approves going to cream undercarriage on the Model C). From personal experience, if I have a choice (if a model was available either way) I would choose a darker color underneath.

With that said, I would definitely keep it white/cream if evidence remained that it was the original color. Either way, a nice car, just a little more cleaning time required.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:38 am:

Duane,

Do you know where the car went (new owner)?

I hope we see it "out and about",

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:04 am:

Rob,

Your right about the Keeping clean part.
Ed has said that with the loss oiling system.(which you know all about) ;) there was oil running off the running boards....after a spin in the Model R.

T's drip oil a bit. I guess the early Fords gushed it. Did keep the dust down on the roads back in the day.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ED Henline on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:17 am:

My 1907 R has a green chassis which is original on mine it had green on all the chassis parts,even under covered parts. I think that was Jim Cross's car from VA. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:18 am:

I was at Hyman Limited a month ago and they had a car they shipping to Barrett-Jackson for the auction.
I wonder if this was it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:06 am:

Ed,

Thanks for the clarification.
I knew it was not black or a dark color.
I was working off memory.
Faulty at times.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:18 am:

Hope it stays here in the U.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Ned is right about being able to get more at RM Auctions...This 1907 R sold for $77,000.00 in June of 2007. I like the paint scheme on it much better than the above R that recently sold at Barrett-Jackson for $35,000.00. Whoever Jim Patrick

www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=163197

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

That is not a Model R Body. It's an N or SR. Could have hurt its value some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

Amongst the massive amounts of stuff Rob H has posted in the past couple months (NOT complaining, just tossing a tease Rob's way, and admitting I have very poor search skills) I read a clipping that stated that there were two chassis colors available under the green body (I do not recall whether it was a model N or R). One color was cream, the other I am not sure, but I think it may have been red.
I remember what I do, because I have noticed and argued for years that a common error in restoration during the '50s '60s and 'early '70s was to paint a chassis cream colored when originally, they were not (mostly on '10 to '25 cars). I know that there were a lot of cars that did have a cream colored chassis. Mostly they were before 1910.
Several historians/collectors and I have discussed this subject. Usually when they would be showing me a car they have acquired and telling me that they were going to repaint the chassis and/or wheels because they were incorrect. NOT because I said so. I don't carry that much weight anywhere.
Anyhow, that was why I noticed the "cream colored chassis" mention in Rob's clipping.
Maybe someone that really knows something will clarify this. Instead of me just muddying the waters
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

Wayne,
I resemble that remark (massive amounts of "stuff").

This is one article I stumbled across (that you are probably referring to). It says Model N came in painted red and green (all maroon before) and mentions some with red running gear. It also references Model R runabouts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:50 am:

Rob, tried to see the buyer but just to many people and very fast action. I will ask around tomorrow and see if I can come up with a name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:25 am:

Rob,
Thank you. I think I do remember reading this piece, however, it is not the one I am recalling. I often find myself wishing I could figure out how to better do word searches so that I would not get 1,234,567 items found in .02 seconds with 1,234,562 having nothing whatsoever to do with what I am looking for (5 items related to what I want, but not WHAT I want). I used to do much better before Google and others started trying to take you to things that pay them better instead of looking for what you asked for.
My memory could be failing me. I like others on this forum seem to be having more trouble that way. I seem to recall it was either New York or Boston and cream running gear was mentioned along with red under the green bodies.
I do love all this stuff you keep finding and adding, and do read most of it. Thank you. I still enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:39 am:

I think I would give basically everything I own for the car that heads up this thread. I could pretty much guarantee that within a month, it would never look quite that nice again. If I wasn't driving it within two days, I would have torn apart the offending components for repairs. If I were driving it within two days and it continued to run okay, I would have put a couple hundred miles on it before the month was out spewing oil and dust all over it, some of which would remain for years.
Yes I would clean it and polish it, many times. I would love it and caress it, drive it and scratch it and love it some more.
I decided a long time ago, that I cannot ever own a show car unless I first have about ten nice cars ready to tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 08:49 am:

Well despite any flaws, I'd take it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:58 am:

I like the cream undercarriage. The contrast really makes it "pop."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:23 pm:

I think 35,000 is very little money for a lot of car (and history).I like Rob hope that it is driven on the road and doesn't become a trailer queen. Like him a feel not driving such a car is like an eagle that can't fly -still beautiful but never reaching its full potential- however I accept there are other takes on this -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

Wayne,

Maybe this is it:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration