Magneto double stack coilring rebuild.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Magneto double stack coilring rebuild.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:01 am:

Good morning All,(7am in belgium)

First of all best wishes for 2014.

A few weeks ago I asked about the build up of a double stack oval magneto coil ring.
Before I start the rebuild of my friends coil ring I decide to exercise on a spare one I found on Ebay for a decent price.

After taking apart a coil, cleaning up and stretching the brass strap I am missing about 10cm (4") of the strap. There by I am using tape instead of varnish to insulate the strap. With the 10cm shorter and the ticker tape/strap, I will not be able to make a 16 winding coil out of the strap (only 15 winding each coil). As it will be so for all the coils, I am wondering how the missing winding will affect the working of the magneto. An oval double stack coil ring should have a total of 512 winding. After rebuild, mine will have only 480 winding. Should this result in a bad working magneto??

In the early 2000 (1999-2000)I rebuild my first Model T, a 1914 runabout. The magneto was not working. The car had a single stack magneto with the later magnets. I replaced the coil ring and the magnets with the same later parts.
If the rebuild of the double stack coil ring is going well I intended to replace the coil ring in the 1914 by the rebuild one. Can the later magnets be used on the double stack coil ring??

Have a fine day

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 03:04 am:

You will loose in theory 7% of the voltage. Can only make a little difference if hand cranking on magneto.
I have given to a guy in UK my double stack stator but he didn't unwind the coils, just took them off and reinsulated externally. Looks good but not yet tested.
The section of the copper tape is rather important just for the current needed for the ignition coils. I think it would be possible to rewind the magneto with modern round varnish insulated copper thread and then be able to respect original number of turns on each coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:48 am:

Philippe,

Till now I do my magneto rebuild my self without any short cut. I only rebuild the single stack coil ring, this will be the first double stack.

For the rebuild First I clean of the assembly in a professional part washer than I completely disassemble the coil ring, clean the straps and re-insulate them with tape.
Before the reassemble I put the steel core in an old kitchen oven and heat it up to about 180C for 30min. Don't do this in the kitchen you will never cook in it after.
To fix the coils on the ring I use 2K oil resistant glue. As all is assembled and the ring is tested I finish the assembly by two coats of polyester.
See pictures

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:35 am:

hi Andre
... I renovated 20 years ago, my 1915 double stack.
A lot of work but it has started without starter.
If I remember correctly the final painted 8 layers of shellac.
Have never had T Ford with the starter.

Ake

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration