You can do almost anything with a Ford-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: You can do almost anything with a Ford-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 08:34 am:

I wonder how well this actually worked?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Herb it works with tractors quite well. I'll bet he ate and pooped more often than that team of T needed gas or a rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:31 am:

With all the discussion about how to properly jack up a T rear end and not damage it, wouldn't there be problems with this guy's set-up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:35 am:

Can't really tell, but he must be using a hillside plow as the photo does not seem to be reversed. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:54 am:

The rear axle and drive shaft would be stronger in this direction than if lifting the car from the center of the differential since there is a direct connection from the wheels to the u-joint housing by the radius rods and also a direct connection from the pull rope attachment to the u-joint with the drive shaft housing, so no large bending forces in the rear axle housing.

Now, this car may have had an accessory trans with a low granny gear to be able to cut through the dirt like that and if they were trying to pull tree stumps after plowing, then I think there would be more of a risk for a bent housing.. Many rear axles we find today looks like they really were pulling stumps quite often..

I wonder if the low band held up for plowing the whole field, though? It might be just a funny photo like the boasting postcards with oversized crops from the era?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:14 am:

That looks easier than the way my uncle and his stepson did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:18 am:

Dang Steve. At least they were taking turns pulling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Except they were cultivating vs ploughing. Much less effort although still hard work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:40 am:

For cryn' out loud the guy is plowing (or whatever) with a tie on! Any particular reason you mention he's a step son Steve? Now as to the car, and barring an aux trans, wouldn't this be hell on the low band? Even with going into neutral to re-oil it, which by the way would cause a complete stop, I can see a band replacement job after each plowing job. Still I guess you gotta' do what you gotta' do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:53 am:

I think that's a "breaker" plow. Besides a coulter ahead of the plowshare, there was a heavy knife-like share ahead of the coulter that simply cut the ground open. Don't know what that part is called but "sod knife" seems appropriate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:58 am:

I'm guessing that car is at least a 17-18-19, because of the rear fenders, gas lamps, two man top and headstone rear window. So for that time period, it probably was cheaper to replace a band than purchase a tractor of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

I had a plow like that in my home garden. My neighbor suggested that I strap my wife into the harness to pull the plow..NOT
She did not see any humor in that suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Pitts on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:09 pm:

Looks like a 15 or 16 with an earlier tail light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

For those with a sick sense of humor, who saw the film Borat, he complained that when his wife was young, she could pull a plow for 12 hours, now she's only good for 4 hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

"They shall beat their Fords into plowshares"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:40 pm:

This is a post card from a series on Fords.

Others show a guy holding up the front of a T with the caption
"No jack necessary for a Ford"

Another shows a Touring with a person under the back wheel laying on his stomach with a smile on his face it says

"No harm done if you do run over people with a Ford."

The same car is used in all the cards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:41 pm:

Louizie Smith could'a done it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

Love to see the other cards if anyone has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

I can guarantee you that a T will NOT pull a "breaking plow" in sod like this picture shows, not unless it has some sort of an auxiliary transmission, been there, done that. The weak point was always the T transmission, the low band went real quick, if it held, then the car would stall out. I have pulled what we called a "sweep" to run middles in a garden, before stuff came up, but that was loose dirt, and you were just skimming the surface. I have pulled a harrow with a T some in a plowed field, but if the dirt began to build up, it just wouldn't go. Now a T tractor conversion was a totally different proposition, those I fooled with worked very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:38 pm:

My wheels slip and get stuck if i drive in mud like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:42 am:

I wonder if the car goes when he yells, "Getty-up"?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration