OT - who was the forum member who was so good at researching patents?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - who was the forum member who was so good at researching patents?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:29 am:

I'm sorry to say I don't recall who did the great research on patents on the forum. I am curious about an early Ford patent, is there a simple way to try to find patent information?

Thanks,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:31 am:

Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:50 am:

Art Belle maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Rob,

For Henry's patents, try this list from an earlier Forum.

The table at that post has active links to the actual patent drawings.

Now, Art is really good at obscure patent searches if what you want isn't in that table.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:01 am:

Rob
If you have the patent number just go to USPTO.GOV and search by number.
In my experience that if you do not know the patent number and do not have details of the patent date, name of patentee or title, searching for a patent can be very difficult.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Thanks guys, I sent Art a pm. Thomas, I'll look over the link.

I'm looking for any magneto patents Ford may have applied for in 1905?

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Here is a pre-Ford Motor Company patent of Henry Ford that probably should also be on Mr. Mullin's list: http://www.google.com/patents/US686046

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

Google has a patent search option. https://www.google.com/?tbm=pts&hl=en

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

Thanks guys, found it.......

Thanks for the great help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

Rob,

Aren't you going to let us in on which patent? You got us all curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

Tom,

I was curious about the early (pre production) Model K advertising that said the K had a "Perfected" magneto. These ads appeared in late 1905, several months before the first production Ks were sold.

Then, if you saw the other post, we have a letter from one of the Holley brothers trying to convince Henry Ford to use a Holley mag (which he eventually did). The letter is dated December 14, 1905. By December 31, we have a Model K sitting at the New York branch store. This seems too soon to expect Ford and Holley to reach agreement, and put Holley mags on the cars (although they could have).

I wondered if Ford actually made what the ad referred to as the "Perfected" magneto? Also, it appears Bob Trevan's Model K, engine #2, does not have a Holley magneto, nor the production K magneto (Holley) setup.

So, I was looking for a pre 1906 Ford patent for a magneto, in the chance that they (Ford) developed a mag, but for whatever reason, did not end up using it. This is what I found.

November 9, 1905 Ford K advertisement:

Magneto patent, applied for July 1, 1905. Approved, March 17, 1908:

drawings:

The other thing that led me to believe Ford was in the "magneto business" to some extent, was an expense entry on the Fiscal Year 1905 report or "Magneto" for $1,900.

So, did Ford have a high tension magneto "on the shelf?" If so, why didn't they use it with the Model K. If not initially, later? Why didn't they develop it for the future Model K, or Model NRS (or T) for that matter?

Lots of questions. Your opinions?

Rob

I wish to thank the several forum members who helped with this info, both online and by phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Hi All

Here is a later Edward Huff / Henry Ford patent that may be more recognizable . . .
http://tinyurl.com/mnq3w4u

Oh and be advised that my “100 Assorted Ford Patents” list was not all inclusive,
but 100 patents just seemed like a nice round number. (and there are some errors)

Rob – Will PM you later,

Regards
Art

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration